Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#364953 - 03/10/2015 20:21 Google Cloud compatible printer
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
The de facto device in our house has become Chromebooks, and that has nade printing a problem. Our existing laser print is basic, and therefore we can only print to it when the Windows desktop it is connected to is powered on - and that rarely gets used. So it seems a waste to have it running just for that. What is pushing me over the edge it my son's pre-school seeking a basic laser printer.

So, recommendation for a B&W Laser with Google Cloud support? I know earlier posts spoke highly of the Brother brand, so I'm considering the Brother Hl-l2360dw (the Brother Hl-l2340dw can be cheaper but does not have hardware ethernet, which might be nice if the wireless sucks). Anyone have any experience with this printer or any other Google Cloud printer?

edit
This reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/3n9okg/can_anyone_suggest_a_printer_for_cloud_print_that/ which has links to this posting https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/chromebook-central/yobFHlFbFgI which reports that GCP print quality is sub-par to other print methods.

Edited by Phoenix42 (03/10/2015 20:35)

#364957 - 06/10/2015 03:03 Re: Google Cloud compatible printer [Re: Phoenix42]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I have a Samsung color laser printer on my Ethernet, and my Mac stays on 24/7 serving as a Google Cloud Print server to bridge the printer in.

If you're printing in portrait mode, then everything works. In landscape mode, nothing works and it's immensely frustrating. Furthermore, Samsung's print drivers on the Mac are desperate to waste your color toner, forcing you to select "advanced black optimization" every time you print. There's no way to select this from the GCP dialog.

(And Samsung hasn't updated the firmware since 2012...)

#364958 - 06/10/2015 04:40 Re: Google Cloud compatible printer [Re: Phoenix42]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My existing not-cloud-enabled printer got a new lease on life when I installed my Synology NAS. The nas becomes the print server, so even my iPhone can print to the thing now.

I know, not the question you asked, but I just wanted you to know that, just in case you were thinking of getting a NAS too, or any kind of server thing for that matter.

#364975 - 06/10/2015 18:29 Re: Google Cloud compatible printer [Re: Phoenix42]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I ended up getting the Samsung M2830DW, which is largely the same feature set, but Staples had a $50 off Samsung printers coupon, so it only cost $49.

I've not yet set up the GCP, because that involves RTFM, and I didn't have time last night - but the print quality from Windows is much better then our old Dell 1110. Hopefully GCP's print quality will be good enough.

My son's pre-school is happy with their free laser printer, and keeping in their good graces is useful to me.

edit: no NAS currently planned Tony, but things can change.

Edited by Phoenix42 (06/10/2015 18:34)