A few days ago, I was checking my Amex Blue credit card online for my recent transactions, as I tend to do maybe once a week. I noticed a charge that I couldn't remember making, from McAfee.com, referencing some kind of McAfee Clinic service. I never ordered *anything* from McAfee.

So my first reaction was to initiate some kind of fraud investigation, but they don't let you do that until your statement has closed. So then two days later, while I'm out of town, another charge posts to my account from RegSoft.com. I think I might have used RegSoft at one time in my life to buy a shareware product, but if I did, I didn't use this credit card to do it, and I never authorized any follow-up charges.

So this second charge made it clear that there was fraud going on, so I called up to have my card cancelled. Meanwhile, apparently there was another charge for for "AOL Service." I wouldn't touch AOL with a ten foot pole.

In talking with the CS rep, it appears that several more charges were attempted since I've cancelled the card. I now have a new card number, and will be disputing those charges.

So, has anyone else ever had this happen? Any interesting stories? Any horror stories? As far as I know this is the only card of mine that's been used fraudulently. The thing is, these aren't rinky-dink companies, and they should be going through some kind of verification service. So the thief obviously has my name, address, etc. in addition to just the # and expiration date. Is there ANY chance that I will learn who has obtained this info and how they obtained it? Amex will launch some kind of "fraud inquiry" and I really need to find out how this thief got access to my personal information. Any chance that'll happen? I'm no longer worried about my Amex card, I think that's safe now, but someone has gotten access to my info, and I'm starting to get worried about serious identity theft.