I just got around to finishing HL2:EP1 last weekend, and settled down to finish EP2 this weekend. Unfortunately, the game keeps crashing at a particular point.

I don't think there's any spoilers here, so I won't bother hiding this:

I've just been through the Antlion Guard's lair and I've just dropped back down into the mine area. As I go along the corridor, I get a little way from the dead medic, and the game crashes. It does this consistently.

I've updated my video drivers (nVidia GeForce 7900 GS), I've installed the relevant hotfixes (938194, 938979 and 940105), and I deleted and re-downloaded the local game content and cache files.

However, when I reload the save game and attempt to go down the corridor, it still crashes.

The rest of the game works fine, no video corruption, no crashes (although I did manage to crash EP1 by confusing the Antlion Guard in the loading bay...).

Has anyone seen this before?

I've got a support call raised with Valve, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll get anything other than scripted responses...

Also, and I don't know how possible this is:

1. Can someone check my save file (attached) to see if it works OK on their copy of HL2:EP2? I don't think that Valve-Anti-Cheat (VAC) will care, since it's a local game.
2. If it works, can someone walk me into the next room and then send me the savegame back again, so I can carry on?

Thanks.

Attachments
306042-hl2-ep2-roger-quick01.zip (78 downloads)