I'm searching for a "prosumer" or low end dSLR to replace my Canon PowerShot S50. The first question I've found is:

Are all pictures from >10 megapixel non-dSLR cameras plagued by so much noise that it negates their increase in megapixels?

I chose a Panasonic Lumix FZ8 for my cowkers to use. When I look closely at its pictures, they are composed of noise; like looking too close at a Renoir. When I look closely at the 5 mp pictures from my S50, they are composed of pixels. It seems like there is no difference between the too; I zoom in the same amount and see junk.

Will larger CCD size and decreased megapixel help me avoid noise? The S50 had a 1/1.7" CCD with 5 megapixel. That seems to be much better than today's 1/2.5" CCD with >10 megapixel crammed in there. I see a Nikon Coolpix 5100 with 1/1.7" CCD, but it fails in other important areas. Maybe I can get an overstocked 1 or 2 year old camera with only 8 mp. But that's what the Panasonic has and it's noisy.

So maybe I should get an entry level dSLR with a "huge" CCD, like the Canon Rebel. I'm afraid of the complexity, but I want to learn. Choosing the right lenses seems difficult. I'd get an Elph/Ixus for casual shots.

Am I totally off track with this CCD size, mp count, and noise issue? Any recommendations for a good "prosumer" camera, giving me more controls so I can learn, but not overwhelmingly complex? Thanks everyone!