So, late last year my VOIP service was transferred to a company called PhonePower. I kept the same phone number and most of the same services, but I lost the virtual phone number I had - an alternate number that would ring the same line.

That number was great to avoid having out my primary number - if I ever started getting junk calls I could simply dump it. It was also an easy way to have a number in a different area code.

My current provider wants $5 a month for this which I feel is too high, especially since I can get a completely new second line for under $9/month with them (prepay for a year).

So what I'm looking for is the cheapest possible way to have an additional phone number, with or without its own line. If it doesn't have its own line it has to be able to drop the call to my current line somehow. I don't need flat-rate call service for this number since it's really potentially just a vanity number.

Alternatively, any ideas about dropping any calls to that number into their own voicemail to email without ever hitting my primary would also be welcome.

I don't really know where to start looking here, whether it by voip.ms, google voice, etc...