I'd like to try my hand at a second foray into rooting my Android device. The first time was with my G1, which greatly extended its useful life (with the addition of the Cyanogen mod). I find myself wanting to do a little more with my Nexus One, or at least something that will require root access.

My initial goal: just root the phone without having to wipe it.

See, eventually I want to put CM7 on the phone, but first I want to back up some apps I have installed. For example, I have three stars on half of the Angry Birds levels across all three versions of the game. I don't want to start from scratch. So I want to get root access to I can install Titanium Backup and keep all that data. Then once I have CM7 installed I can reinstall those apps and still have my games saved.

So far I've tried SuperOneClick, which failed, and Gingerbreak, which also failed. Both just sat there and wouldn't finish. From what I've heard it could because I have 2.3.4, which apparently doesn't have an exploit yet, but that was just someone's theory. The XDA community isn't, frankly, being very helpful. So I thought I'd see if anyone else here has rooted their Nexus One or Nexus S.

Eventually I'd also like to root my brand new Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I'll have to post about that at some point).