I'm using an iPhone 5, 16 GB model, and this 16 GB is getting a bit cramped. The biggest category is photo's (2.65 GB) and email (2.4 GB). The rest is apps and a bit of music (less than 1 GB) I've come to the point that I've only got +/- 100 MB of free space left. This is problematic because that's too little to even do the latest firmware upgrade...

I plan on upgrading to a 6S (64 GB) when it gets released, but in the meanwhile I need a solution for this. So I was thinking to temporarily copy the photo's of 2013 and 2014 to a folder on my Windows PC and delete then from the phone. Then, when I get the new phone, copy them back. (I like having ALL my photo's close-by)

The problem is the iPhone doesn't seem to store the photos in a single DCIM folder, but rather in a lot of subfolders (32 in my case to be exact). In the past, this had made it a pain to locate a certain photo (but with clever date searches this is do-able), but in this case I'm reluctant to just delete the photo's because my gut tells me there will be problems when I just copy them back onto the new phone. I'm fearing there will be a database of some sort which won't recognize the photo's copied directly onto the phone, resulting in not showing them, the loss of the timestamps, etc...

I've looked a bit around on the internet, but haven't found a solution for this specific problem. I did find a lot of complaints about the folder structure thing though...

Anybody got an idea what would be the best approach? An option might also be upload the photos to iCloud, but I'm not sure if this doesn't require the photos to also exist on the phone itself and not solely in the cloud? (anyway, I'm not a big fan of uploading all my photo's - if only for the time that would take)

Thanks!