I have disk drive E:. It is formatted as NTFS on Windows 2000.

It is essentially used for storing three things:

- All games are installed to this drive.
- All MP3s are kept on this drive.
- I keep downloads on that drive.

It's a faster disk drive than my other disks, so I put my paging file there, too.

I decided to defragment the drive. I know it won't defragment the paging file, so I temporarily tell Windows to use C for its paging file. Reboot. Defragment, with the intent of putting the paging file back onto E when the defragment was done. That way the paging file will be contiguous after I'm all done.

Now, since I didn't install the OS to that drive, and I'm not running anything that has files locked open on that drive, I would expect that it could defragment the drive 100 percent. Which it does fine. But here's the funny thing.

There's three green stripes on graph. Two near the beginning and one big fat stripe near the middle. The legend says green stripes are "system files". But I took the paging file off of that drive. And there aren't any files on the drive tagged with the "System" flag as far as I know (dir /S /AS and dir /S /ASH reveals nothing).

So what the heck are those system files? NTFS doesn't store its file allocation table at the center of the disk does it? And if the one in the middle is the allocation table, what are the two small green stripes near the beginning of the disk?