Can anyone tell me why modern toasters are so abominably KACK?

The majority seem to have been designed by morons - why, for example, is the toating area always smaller than the average cross-section of a normal loaf? I mean, loaves haven't changed size much in my life time - if anything they are smaller - but damnit, I hate having the top inch-and-a-half of the slice untoasted so you get a "Crisp to Soggy" transition halfway through eating it.

It's not as if the testers couldn't SEE that the bottom half and the edges are burnt to buggery and the top hasn't been touched, surely?

And do they forget that people sometimes LIKE thick toast instead of the designer's obvious preference for wafer-thin slices. None of the door wedges I cut will FIT in the damn things these days - too thick!

What's the take on the stupid temperature contols, too? I mean even though the damn things are fitted with a variable control, it seems like they only have two positions - "Don't Toast" or (Dalek Voice On) "EX-TER-MIN-ATE!". I am fed up with having to hammer the damn smoke detectors to death just because I turned up the toast control by a smidgin in order to try and even up the colour a bit, or even get it to start toasting in the first place! Surely, people must be getting sick of replacing the batteries in smoke alarms?

Unbelieveable. I feel like kicking this stupid tin can around the garden to prove a point. Mutter. Grumble. In my day, toasters were made for MEN, not panty-waisted girlies rushing to work in their MPVs.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015