I have a server that I'm installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux on. The only hard disks in the machine are 3 60 gig IDE drives that are connected to a Promise SuperTrak SX6000 RAID controller in a RAID-5 array.

This server was previously running RedHat 7.2 on the same controller with no problems.

They do not have a driver for Enterprise Linux (or Fedora) on their website. They do have the source for the driver so that I can compile it myself. I compiled the driver against the source for the default kernel in RHEL (2.4.21-4.EL). I also compiled it with the options for the BOOT kernel. I then booted off the RedHat CD. When it told me it could not find a hard drive I hit Alt-F2 to get a prompt, mounted the floppy drive, and installed the module (pti_st.o) that I had compiled against the BOOT kernel. It installed fine. I unmounted the floppy, flipped back to the installation wizard, partitioned the drive and kept on going.

After the installation I popped the CD and rebooted. Kernel panic. I expected that. So I booted off the CD again, installed the driver, used mknod to create sda - sda8 and was able to mount the patitions. I mounted the root partition (/dev/sda3) as /mnt/scsi and I copied the driver I compiled (pti_st.o) into /mnt/scsi/lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi and modified /mnt/scsi/etc/modules.conf to include the line "alias scsi_hostadapter pti_st".
Upon reboot the kernel still panics. Here are the messages it gives:

Code:

kmod: failed to exec sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: cannot open root device "sda3" or 08:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

I don't do this kind of stuff too often...so I might have missed something obvious...anyone see anything I'm missing? Any suggestions (ie...ditch the card and run software RAID)? Mark, are you out there?

Thanks