I got a MacBook Pro for Christmas (yay!) and I've been arguing with it trying to get Mac OS to mount Windows shares for a full day now. I finally figured it out. My password has a non-alphanumeric character in it, which Leopard doesn't like. I can URL-escape it, though, and it works. Crazy.

When I try to Cmd-K, after entering my password without URI-escaping the offending characters, it brings up the "Connecting To Server" progress bar window, it spins forever, and you cannot dismiss it. If I tried to use mount_smbfs at the command line and include my password in the arguments, I get "failed to initialize the smb library". If I leave out the password and enter it interactively (again, without encoding), it runs without issuing a warning or error, but there is nothing at the mount point, although the OS does think that there is something mounted there, and you have to umount that mount point before trying anything else.

I cannot figure out how to use the command line to mount these shares. Even URI-encoding doesn't work, either putting the password in the command line arguments (where I get a "bus error" — awesome) or entering it interactively.

You can use ruby (which is installed in MacOS by default) to generate the URI encoding:
 Code:
ruby -ruri -e 'puts URI::encode("text to encode")'
I don't really need any feedback, unless someone here can report this bug to Apple. I mostly am posting so that maybe someone else can find their problem when they search for it.