Due to being pissed off at one of my banks, I'd like to make a change. I know that Bitt went through something similar a while back (I was surprised how long ago that was!), but my needs are a little different so I wondered if you guys might have some suggestions. Or Bitt, if anything has changed, let us know about that.

A little background first. When my wife and I got married, like most people we talked about how to bring our finances together. The method we chose to use was as follows:

• we opened a joint checking account with Wachovia
  • she kept her own checking account with Wachovia she had from before
  • I kept my Suntrust checking account from before we were married.
  • we have a Wachovia credit card for overdraft protection
  • I have a Wachovia business checking account

The problem I'm having is with my Suntrust account. I received an unexpected charge that drained my account, but while I was unaware of this, I continued using my card for purchases. Because banks are enormous d-bags, they charge a variable fee for every single transaction. So I wound up with hundreds of dollars in fees, and now I want to kick this f'ing bank to the curb. I'd feel more personal responsibility if, two years ago, Suntrust hadn't made it impossible to get overdraft protection on the account (a long story, but it was their fault).

So now I want a new bank for my personal account. I'll probably end up on Wachovia so I can get overdraft protection from my existing credit line, but I want to see what my other options are first, because there are things I don't like about Wachovia.

The thing is, the services I'm looking for probably don't exist. But I thought I'd ask you folks if you know of a bank that did this:

What I want is a bank that will help ME with my budgeting. Is there any bank that will let you subdivide your accounts, so that your card pulls out of a certain pool of cash, while leaving others alone? What I'd love to be able to do is say "okay, so I want to save up for that new phone. I'll create this new bucket in my account where I'll move a little cash every once and a while." I'm sure this isn't even possible, but I'd love to know if anyone does it without opening a half dozen checking accounts.

Beyond that, all I want is no monthly fees. And hopefully the ability to add a credit card for overdraft protection.

Lastly, a nice addition would be to find a bank that will update in Mint faster than Wachovia. It always seems like Wachovia is like 5 days behind, so it's really not that useful for day-to-day tracking of my accounts.

So, what do you good folks have to say? Any banks out there that you'd suggest?