Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#203149 - 08/02/2004 21:47 Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma.
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
The drive on my wife's Karma gave up the ghost and began singing the click of ages. Alas, these things happen and I'm posting it here for posterity.

That's not the interesting part. My tale begins the very first day Karmas were on sale at Circuit City . I call, they have two. I put one on layaway to be sure it's there come evening. After waiting in the customer service line for about 30 minutes behind a man trying to return a $9.00 piece of software that was bought on a card he no longer has (cancelled), it's my turn. 20 minutes and one very confused new sales associate later I'm out the door with my wife's new toy.

Fast forward three months, I'm sitting in my office and I get a call from a manager at Circuit City. It turns out the confused young associate had, well, not charged my card for the Karma, and they would like payment, please. Well, I figured I was well within my rights to tell them to pound, calling three months after the sale, saying they'd messed up and now wanting $400. That course of action, however, would unfortunately however been as my mother would say, 'wrong'. So, after checking my Amex bill from three months prior and confirming the Circuit City's explanation, I call back and give them my card. In return they only charge me the current cost, about $350. 'Cool!' I thought, honesty does pay off. So later that day I trundle down to the store to pick up my receipt.

Fast forward Wednesday. My wife calls and tells me her Karma won't get past 'starting'. Paperclip. No love. 'Does it make a clicking noise, over and over?', 'Yes'. Settled, dead HD. Back to CC it goes.

Forward to this morning. I put the dog in the car and head over to Circuit City. I stand in line for about 3-4 minutes as a very harried looking manager sorts out a line of credit for the lady in front of me. During a pause in the transaction he asks how he can help me. 'Dead Karma drive.' I say, showing him the receipt.

He looks at it and informs me the CC only has a 30 day return policy, and that I'll have to go through the manufacturer. 'Hmmm. Do you have their number?' . He goes off and gets a dog-eared list, looks through it for a minute, not finding the number. 'When did you say you picked it up?'. Gulp...there's an October date as listed as when I put the item on layaway, with final sale of December 15th. I mumble something back. He looks up at me 'I remember this one.' he says. 'Go get another one off the shelf.' I do so and return in a minute. The lady with the credit application is gone. He gets out a box knife, opens up the box and hands me the Karma. 'We'll just swap them, I'll take care of it. I really appreciate your understanding a few months ago, lots of people would have told us to screw.'

I thank the man and head out the door with my wife's new Karma. Karma karma. Life is good sometimes.

-Zeke

#203150 - 08/02/2004 21:56 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: Ezekiel]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Good story! I like to hear the 'good' customer service stories like this, it shows that not all faceless chain electronics stores can be evil.

#203151 - 08/02/2004 21:58 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: Ezekiel]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Great story. It's cool the guy actually remembered their error.

Matt

#203152 - 08/02/2004 22:04 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: Ezekiel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Might be a good time to ask them about their extended warranty!

#203153 - 08/02/2004 22:15 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

That would've been pushing my luck. Hopefully lightning won't strike twice.

/me looks for wood to knock

If I buy any HD portable in future, I'm certain I will be buying that extra warranty, regardless of brand.

-Zeke

#203154 - 09/02/2004 05:58 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: Ezekiel]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Excellent! I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to this thread on the Karma Beta Board.

#203155 - 09/02/2004 07:38 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: pgrzelak]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

I don't mind a bit. I signed up for the 1.19 beta team, but since my wife is the one using it, I never felt comfortable enough posting as the details would be 2nd hand and I thought I might make an error in retelling them. I've kind of felt bad about it, but I figure incorrect information would be worse than silence.

-Zeke

#203156 - 09/02/2004 15:21 Re: Dead Karma hard drive, bacon saved by karma. [Re: pgrzelak]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
woah. i had an inital parsing error of your post, and thought that you were going to post a link onto riovolution... my brain was just saying "DON'T DO THAT! cut and paste, at the most =)". heh.