Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#215027 - 30/04/2004 03:43 My Karma crashed / froze
Gonk
new poster

I don't know if this should be in the troubleshooting forum or here, but i decided to post it here...

I recently (about 3 weeks ago) got a Rio Karma 20gb and have been delighted with it until the following happened:

It simply froze, with the hourglass continuing to cycle but nothing was happening to the player, couldn't even turn it off. The hourglass then stopped turning but the backlight remained on, still unable to be turned off or anything. I could occassinally also hear the hard disk grinding when i listened carefully. So i left it for a couple of hours (it got quite hot - I'm assuming because the backlight was stuck on all this time) and eventually it turned itself off - probably because the battery was flat. Whenever i try and turn it back on now a battery logo flashes up then it turns itself off.

Could anyone please tell me what to do? Should I recharge it and see what happens, is there a reset button or anything?

Thanks

#215028 - 30/04/2004 04:43 Re: My Karma crashed / froze [Re: Gonk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Recharge it or run it from the AC adapter. There is a reset button - look for the little hole on the bottom (near the docking connector and power connector). Take a straightened paperclip and insert it into the hole. It will go in a surprisingly long way, but it will hit the reset button inside the player.

Did you notice any other problems? Hard drive noises / clicking? Sounds? Also, what version of the firmware do you have on the player - had you upgraded to the most recent version?

#215029 - 30/04/2004 05:06 Re: My Karma crashed / froze [Re: pgrzelak]
Gonk
new poster

I just used it straight out of the box.. no new firmware. Where do I go to get the new firmware?

Also... If i reset it, will I lose all my music?

#215030 - 30/04/2004 05:56 Re: My Karma crashed / froze [Re: Gonk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

You can get new firmware on the Rio support site. There were a number of software fixes and enhancements that are really worthwhile.

As for the reset button, no - it is just a power reset, similar to the reset button on any computer. In order to delete all of your music, you would have to reformat the hard drive.