Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#228740 - 28/07/2004 21:42 RMML 20040728
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Someday I'm going to actually understand internationalization. I finally broken down and just wrote better test cases for this, so I'm not just eyeballing a big display of i18n'd song titles. So at the very least I can say that all the titles come out as I expect (the question is whether what I expect is actually correct or not, but the files I'm using are pretty much consistent with RMM now, save for a couple that I'm using that are intentionally broken ... then it's sort of a tossup anyway)

Changes in 20040728:
Pretty tired of i18n at this point. More fixes to trailing null/0xFFFD trimming.

#228741 - 02/08/2004 16:20 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: mschrag]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey mschrag, I have two minor requests for you. First, when you announce a new version, include the link. I had an extremely hard time finding it when I was looking for it for the first time last week. As far as I can tell, it has only ever been posted once on here.

Second, how about a simple "how to set it up" document on the website for those who don't use Java apps on a daily basis (or, well, ever). Just a simple "After installing the Java JDK, put the jar file in a directory, drop to Dos and run java -jar rmmlite.jar". It may seem simple to you, but if you don't know that you will never figure it out solely from the documents you have on your website.

Anyway, I really appreciated your program. The Karma was driving me nuts with it's refusal to copy a single song twice to the device as part of two separate albums, and your program got around that which I am very grateful for. Thanks.

#228742 - 02/08/2004 16:36 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: ninti]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Sure I can do that -- I guess I'm more used to Riovolution for RMML updates where most people (I think) know where to find it.

For those who don't, just for completeness:
http://rmml.dev.java.net
under the Documents and Files section (I think that's what it's called)

After you install the JDK, on Windows, you should be able to just double click the rmmlite.jar. On other OS's, you will probably need to run it from the commandline with java -jar rmmlite.jar.

Quote:
The Karma was driving me nuts with it's refusal to copy a single song twice to the device as part of two separate albums, and your program got around that which I am very grateful for.

Kind of surprised RMML let you do that either, unless you explicitly turned off deduplication or something? Oh well .. I'm going to pretend this is a feature not a bug and everything will be fine

#228743 - 02/08/2004 16:47 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: ninti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
After installing the Java JDK, put the jar file in a directory, drop to Dos and run java -jar rmmlite.jar

It's even simpler than that. If you have installed the Java runtime from Sun, then simply double-clicking on the Jar, or making a shortcut to it, will work.

#228744 - 02/08/2004 16:48 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, I need to stop leaving windows open for 15 minutes and THEN replying.

#228745 - 02/08/2004 21:39 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: mschrag]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
I guess I'm more used to Riovolution for RMML updates where most people (I think) know where to find it.

Well, riovolution has the downloads section, which helps (when it is working, it is not today for instance)

Quote:
you should be able to just double click the rmmlite.jar

Hmm, apparently my decompression program stole the extension mapping for it because it loads instead and just shows me all the files in the jar rather than actually running it.

Quote:
unless you explicitly turned off deduplication or something?

Yeah, that is what I did. It is nice that it gives me the option instead of just refusing to load the song at all where I want it.

#228746 - 02/08/2004 22:24 Re: RMML 20040728 [Re: ninti]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Just tossing this out -- jEmplode includes Karma support, which will allow you to put nested playlists, etc on there (basically everything you can do to the Empeg you can do to the Karma). Granted RMML is a much nicer enduser experience, just more limiting.