Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#340688 - 02/01/2011 21:17 File from original karma software CD
tomj
new poster

Hello,

does anyone still have the original karma software CD? I've searched my complete attic and couldn't find it. I just found the "empeg emplode 1.0" CD smile

There should be a file on the CD with "ecos" in the name, like maybe ecos.tar.gz or ecos-last-rhepl.diff. Could anyone please look for it?

Thanks,
Thomas

#340691 - 03/01/2011 02:41 Re: File from original karma software CD [Re: tomj]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Thomas --

I went through the CD pretty carefully three times, and there does not appear to be any file with "ecos" in the filename, nor any files with *.gz or

Attached is an MS Word file with a list of all the files on the CD. Hope this helps.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
KarmaFiles.doc (1123 downloads)

#340692 - 03/01/2011 05:49 Re: File from original karma software CD [Re: tomj]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tomj
There should be a file on the CD with "ecos" in the name, like maybe ecos.tar.gz or ecos-last-rhepl.diff. Could anyone please look for it?

That'd be part of the firmware, which (according to Doug's document) isn't included on the CD. You'd need to download a firmware image from the website (if it's still live).

If, on the other hand, you're looking for the source code release for eCos, as used on the Karma, you're out of luck. We licensed it, so were under no obligation to release the source.

#340693 - 03/01/2011 06:18 Re: File from original karma software CD [Re: tanstaafl.]
tomj
new poster

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Thomas --

I went through the CD pretty carefully three times, and there does not appear to be any file with "ecos" in the filename, nor any files with *.gz or

Attached is an MS Word file with a list of all the files on the CD. Hope this helps.

tanstaafl.

Thanks for checking! I'll try the firmware image next as Roger suggested.

#340694 - 03/01/2011 06:30 Re: File from original karma software CD [Re: Roger]
tomj
new poster

Originally Posted By: Roger
That'd be part of the firmware, which (according to Doug's document) isn't included on the CD. You'd need to download a firmware image from the website (if it's still live).

The website still contains all the upgrade files from 1.68 down to 1.11. So basically the file could be on the Karma filesystem. Have to dig out a Windows box wink

If, on the other hand, you're looking for the source code release for eCos, as used on the Karma, you're out of luck. We licensed it, so were under no obligation to release the source.

My current knowledge is that the changes made to eCos itself (changes to support the specific CPU) are part of that ecos-last-rhepl.diff. Or am I heading in the wrong direction?

#340695 - 03/01/2011 07:20 Re: File from original karma software CD [Re: tomj]
tomj
new poster

I've checked the content of the Karma file system (there's a ktree.c debug tool on the net) and it doesn't contain any file related to eCos.

The firmware upgrade files also don't seem to contain the file.

Would it be possible to get the file from the original devs? Of course only if that doesn't bring you anything near legal trouble.

IIRC, the files were submitted to Redhat for inclusion and got lost cry

Edited by tomj (03/01/2011 07:23)