Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#220870 - 05/02/2002 12:31 Multiple servers on the same net? what happens?
iceweazel
journeyman

Loc: the states
What happens when there are multiple servers on the same
network? How do the receivers handle this?

Looking at SSDP it looks like "first come first serve" would be
the answer. I mean to test this later on, but just wondering if
anyone knew off the top of their heads.

Ed

#220871 - 06/02/2002 01:41 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happens? [Re: iceweazel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yep, it's first come, first server.

#220872 - 06/02/2002 11:13 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happens? [Re: Roger]
iceweazel
journeyman

cool. Sounds like another good FAQ question.

My brother rents from me and shares my network and wanted
to know if there was a way to "select a B server" much like
some VCRs have an A and B remote setting to avoid controlling
both at once.

Ah well!

Ed

#220873 - 06/02/2002 12:04 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: iceweazel]
dschuetz
new poster

If you can manage to get the DHCP / SSDP part turned off at each of the servers (this might be as simple as turning off "serve audio to this receiver"), then -- [[hey, can you do that? Does the stock server allow you to ignore any given receiver? Or is the checkbox just for serving music in general? ]]

...anyway, what I was going to suggest is turning "off" the servers, such that they won't respond to SSDP / DHCP requests, but then see if they'll still respond on the HTTP port to normal requests (I'd bet they would). If so, then you could:

* Set up a DHCP server to assign static IP addresses to each receiver
* Modify Jeff Mock's SSDP.pl script to give a different server address to each receiver, based on the receiver's IP address
* Install that perl script somewhere and get it running as a daemon or service
* Cross fingers

I dunno, does anyone think this might work? I'm considering something similar so I can test JReceiver stuff with one receiver, while using the "established and functional" JReceiver server for the two other receivers in the house. As it is, when I play with the code, my wife gets annoyed 'cause the other Rios break.

#220874 - 06/02/2002 16:51 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: dschuetz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

The "Serve Music to this Receiver" item disables serving of everything -- SSDP/NFS/HTTP.

It's exactly what you need for this scenario.

#220875 - 06/02/2002 20:33 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: Roger]
iceweazel
journeyman

Is that saved by ip or MAC or something else?

Ed

#220876 - 07/02/2002 01:42 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: iceweazel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

MAC. The list is stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Diamond Multimedia\Audio Receiver Manager\1.0\Units\Ignore

#220877 - 07/02/2002 07:18 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: Roger]
dschuetz
new poster

In reply to:

The "Serve Music to this Receiver" item disables serving of everything -- SSDP/NFS/HTTP.

It's exactly what you need for this scenario.
The list is stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Diamond Multimedia\Audio Receiver Manager\1.0\Units\Ignore

Ah, so there's actually a way to disable individual receivers within the server? I'm not sure if I did see that on a menu item, is it strictly a registry key?

So, what I'm gathering here, is if you've got three receivers, and two of 'em belong to one guy and one to another, the first guy can add a "ignore" entry for the other guy's receiver, and the second person can add two ignore entries for the other two. Then, when they boot up, they'll only be recognized and served by "their" servers? And they wouldn't have to worry about rolling their own DHCP or SSDP or whatever servers, it's all being selectively handled by the stock windows server?

This is exactly what people need. Is this an FAQ anywhere?

Once again, you guys think of everything. (well, almost everything....that's why we've still got wishlists...)

#220878 - 07/02/2002 08:35 Re: Multiple servers on the same net? what happen [Re: dschuetz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Right click on the player icon in the Audio Receiver Manager. Uncheck "Serve Music to this Receiver" on the menu.