Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224505 - 28/01/2004 10:54 Jrec or Trio internet enabled?
camell0
stranger

Loc: TX
i was wondering if it was possible to access either from the internet? if the right ports were opened, is it possible to access the Trio front end (or Jrec for that matter) from your workplace to queue music at home?

#224506 - 29/01/2004 01:48 Re: Jrec or Trio internet enabled? [Re: camell0]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
JRec has a conventional web-interface which should be accessible from the internet provided that you open the correct port (usually 8080) on your firewall.

The tRio applet runs in a web-browser, but uses a java technology called RMI to do things that you wouldn't easliy be able to do using straight html. The problem is that it can be a bugger getting RMI to work through a firewall (I've never tried it). Also, the applet expects to have the sort of bandwidth you'd find on a lan rather than the internet and so even if you could get the firewall issues sorted, it might not be all that responsive. Finally, the simple web server I build into tRio doubtlessly has a great many vulnerabilities that might be exploited by a malicious attack.

And so I don't think tRio is a good candidate for this.

Cheers
Paul