Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224645 - 16/02/2004 16:54 trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating
birch
stranger

First, to the tRio devs: thanks for trio, I really appreciate the work you've done.

Does anyone else find it frustrating that PLAY and ENTER do the same thing in QUEUE mode?

Basically I find myself constantly RE-enqueing the same thing over and over because I didn't hit play within 2 seconds and then I have to use stop to remove the repeated files. BUT when they are removed if I try to hit play it just enqueues them all over again...SO I empty the queue entirely now that I know exaclty what I want to play, I fill the queue and quickly hit play.

Would anyone else like to see Play and Enter do different things in trio?

Birch

#224646 - 16/02/2004 17:01 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: birch]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Have you tried using the "menu" key to completely back out and then hit play?

By using the menu button you can also back out and select other music.

To further elaborate: "Enter" drills down and "Menu" backs up. "Play" selects whatever is highlighted. So... if I'm queing things up I can select "Artist" by pressing "Enter", Select "AC/DC" by pressing "Play" or drill down into "AC/DC" (by pressing "Enter") to pick a certain Album or song. From there I can back up to the artist level by pressing the "menu" button and select all of another artist such as Stevie Ray Vaughan by highlighting that and pressing "Play" or drilling down by pressing "Enter". When I'm through with my selections I hit menu until I see the track info and hit "Play".

Edited by Jerz (16/02/2004 17:58)

#224647 - 17/02/2004 07:26 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: birch]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Birch,

Is your problem because it's taking more than 2 seconds to queue your selections? And so it's too late by the time the hour glass has disappeared?

If so I'd guess that you're running against ARM rather than jrec. It takes longer because it's got to read the track number for each tune so that it can queue them up in that order. jrec returns them in track number order automatically and so it's much quicker.

Please confirm if this is the problem and I'll take a look to see if I can change things so it'll pick up the 2nd enter press even before the hour glass disappears.

Cheers
Paul

#224648 - 17/02/2004 10:11 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: pauln]
birch
stranger

I am using ARM, but time isn't really the issue. I'm not enqueing that many songs at a time. It's more from a user interface perspective.

I'll go to a artist, hit enter, choose some songs hitting enter. I'll repeat this a couple times. Then I'll think, "what else do I want to add...I guess I have enough songs already - Ok now I want to play." I hit Play - but it doesn't play. It re-enqueues the selected song.

Maybe I'm just too used to the OEM software, maybe I'm just too indecisive when faced with my music collection, maybe I need to do what Jerz suggested and go all the way out using the menu and then hit play, but right now it just seems like I should be able to set up my queue and play it.

It also reduces the wife acceptance factor. Having two buttons that do the same thing at some levels, but different things at other levels, and then even something else during a 2 second window, doesn't really impress her with simplicity.

I'm still messing with jrec. I've got it streaming to my PC, just not the RIO. Perhaps I'll be happier when jukebox mode is running.

Thanks,
Birch

#224649 - 18/02/2004 07:09 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: birch]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Yes, I can see where you're coming from here. But I think there has to be a trade-off either way.

The way I designed it is that:

- ENTER expands the current selection

- PLAY queues the current selection

- PLAY on the same selection within 2 seconds (like a double click) starts playback and returns you to the playback screen.

And because tunes can't be expanded, I thought that ENTER may as well queue them too (hence PLAY = ENTER on a tune).

The benefit of this is that you can queue all the albums for an artist by simply pressing PLAY on the artist in the "Select by Artist" screen.

If I understand you correctly, you'd prefer to have:

- ENTER expands the current selection from the "Select by Artist" etc. screens

- ENTER queues the current selection from the "Tunes by Artist" etc. screens

- PLAY starts playback and returns you to the playback screen.

This looses the ability to queue an entire artist with the PLAY key, but maybe that's not too much of a loss.

I can see that is can get confusing though. Does anyone else have a view?

Cheers
Paul

#224650 - 24/02/2004 00:26 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: pauln]
laynel
stranger

Personally, I'd prefer that the "Play" do what it's called, namely, play. I understand and appreciate the way you've got it currently designed, but... I've been using tRio for a year or so now and I ALWAYS (every stinking time!) end up forgetting that "play" doesn't!
I cast my vote for myself and the rest of the idiots in the world! let Play==Play!

#224651 - 14/07/2004 19:13 Re: trio PLAY = ENTER => Frustrating [Re: laynel]
nickyl
stranger

Me too!

I know as an intelligent human being I should be able to retrain myself to know what to to, but I always end up adding the same song more than once. I appreciate what you intended, but I wish play just meant play.

Talking about interface and preconditioned training, Im a tivo user, so every time I want to scroll down a list I want to use the 4-way arrow keys in the middle of the remote. It's just a training thing I guess.

That being said, Thanks for all your work, it's a great improvment on the original.