I've been thinking about it and something like this would be perfect out by my parents' hot tub. It has several issues to overcome though. I'm just trying to brainstorm to see if something like this would be feasible (even with $100-200 of modifications).

1. It would be near a hot tub. People with wet hands would be changing the controls.

2. It rains and there is dew many mornings. There is rarely snow or ice.

3. Cold: it only falls below freezing for a couple weeks a year around here, but lowest temps have been the low teens farenheit.

4. There is also heat (it stays 85-95 for most of August and has on a few occasions risen just above 100 degrees farenheit).

I realize this is outside the recommended use of the product, but I find it likely that there would be some way to make it work. For example, the unit could be encased in plastic to protect it from water, like many of those kits to use regular cameras underwater. Power could be cut if the temperature got too high or too low. Alternately, a small heating coil could turn on if the temp got too low and a fan turn on if it got too high. Any ideas, regardless of how wacky, would be appreciated. I could probably build small circuit boards and stuff if necessary.

-Biscuits

Edited by biscuitsjam (31/01/2002 18:12)