Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223089 - 02/05/2003 12:15 Variable Encoding
rembrandt
stranger

Does anyone know what rate the rio-recievers can decode up to ?

Latley I have been ripping my cds using Variable rate encoding. [which can go WAY over 192 - but still compresses it at around the 192 range]

I noticed that my rio's would not see many if not all of these rips.

I am running jreceiver 0.2.4 on redhat.
and have both sonic blue and dell receivers from tiger direct.

what normally happens is that the rio will see the song on its display, but then when i try to play it .. it will just sit there and blink at me. Sometimes songs will not even show up in the listings (which i believe is a jreceiver bug)

any direction would be appreciated.

#223090 - 02/05/2003 18:47 Re: Variable Encoding [Re: rembrandt]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sometimes songs will not even show up in the listings (which i believe is a jreceiver bug)

It's probably just this old problem, unrelated to the encoding rate, and which is not a bug in the jreceiver software (it's jreceiver working around a bug in the player software). Now, on to your other problem...

what normally happens is that the rio will see the song on its display, but then when i try to play it .. it will just sit there and blink at me.

That might possibly be a problem with the files themselves. Although this link is related to a different product, the solution might be the same. Check and see.

#223091 - 05/05/2003 15:09 Re: Variable Encoding [Re: rembrandt]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It should be fine, the testing at the time did all the way to 320kbit (CBR, though)...

Hugo

#223092 - 21/06/2003 19:50 Re: Variable Encoding [Re: rembrandt]
ShawnSteele
new poster

I'm curious if you're talkin WMA or MP3. It doesn't seem to like my VBR WMA files, which isn't surprising since they're newer than the rio drivers.

Next question: Any way to get a newer WMA decoder in the Rio?

#223093 - 22/06/2003 00:26 Re: Variable Encoding [Re: ShawnSteele]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Any way to get a newer WMA decoder in the Rio

Very unlikely I'm afraid. It's not as if it is something you can just grab a copy of and recompile.