Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224381 - 06/01/2004 01:57 WinXP + ARM 1.04 Not working on one computer...
mhavoc
stranger

Hi Everyone,

Im out of ideas on this problem and wondered if anyone could help. Here is my setup...

Router: Cisco 675 10.0.0.1
DesktopWinXP+ARM1.04 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.3 Mandrake Linux 9.1
LaptopWinXP+ARM1.04 10.0.0.11
RioReceiver: 10.0.0.251

Main problem: Rio Receiver works fine when using ARM on Laptop but I can't for the life of me to get ARM to work properly on the desktop XP box.

No Firewall (Black Ice Defender Disabled, XP firewall disabled)

I have duplicated the settings on the desktop ARM with what is currently on the laptop XP.

Upon boot Rio Says...
Searching for Music Servers
Found Music Server <- this forever with ARM desktop

I figured it was something with the NIC in the desktop as I had a Kingston KNE-100 in there and I thought it couldn't do the 10MB/s thing so I swapped cards and put in a 3Com 3C905B-TX but still have the same issue. I also tried putting a 10MB/s hub between the Rio and the main switch with no help either. My network is...

ARM WinXP -> Netgear FS108 -> Kingston 10/100 Hub -> Rio

Both the Desktop XP and the Laptop XP boxes go into the same switch tho so it shouldn't be a route issue.

On the Desktop ARM, the Rio never shows up in the interface.

Question 1: Since the ARM can DHCP, should I simpify by turning off DHCP for the Rio's MAC address and just let ARM do it?

Question 2: Why is all my hair gone? :-)

thanks....

#224382 - 06/01/2004 11:39 Re: WinXP + ARM 1.04 Not working on one computer... [Re: mhavoc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If your cisco router is providing the DHCP addresses for the LAN, then make sure that the DHCP feature of ARM is turned off. Strange things can happen if you have two DHCP servers on the same network arguing about to whom to provide addresses.

#224383 - 07/01/2004 22:59 SOLVED: WinXP + ARM 1.04 Not working [Re: tfabris]
mhavoc
stranger

Okay, that was it. The Strange thing is that my laptop ARM was set up the same way but it must have been faster than the other DHCP server for some reason. Anyway, I now have tunes in the bedroom again.. thanks for the help.

#224384 - 08/01/2004 06:30 Re: SOLVED: WinXP + ARM 1.04 Not working [Re: mhavoc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Strange things can happen if you have two DHCP servers on the same network arguing about to whom to provide addresses.

The DHCP server in ARM won't respond to a DHCP request until the fifth retry (usually once a second), so the other DHCP server has to be really slow for this to be problem.

Also, if your PC booted using DHCP, it automatically turns off its internal DHCP server (on the assumption that you've got a functional DHCP server elsewhere). I think that it can be forced back on. I also recall that ARM doesn't detect this properly on older versions of Windows.

As you say, however, it is better to turn it off if you've already got a DHCP server.