Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224742 - 30/03/2004 11:00 msgsrv32 Error
nightingales

Loc: GA/USA
Has anyone else experienced this?
Running ARM 1.03 on a Windows Me machine (more or less exclusive just for Rio Music). Connected to 1 Rio at the moment, through Ethernet. Everything works fine, but when I turn off the Rio and turn it back on at some point (PC was never off), it will not find the Music Server. When I go to the PC and use task manager, I will now find that msgsrv32 is not responding anymore. Once I kill it, the error won't happen again, even when I turn the Rio back off and on, until the computer is rebooted.
Now, msgsrv32 is supposed to watch over the registry and important system files. Is ARM trying to change something it is not supposed to when the Rio requests a connection (or when the Rio is turned off for that matter)? Anyone seen this?

Marc

#224743 - 31/03/2004 03:06 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: nightingales]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Now, msgsrv32 is supposed to watch over the registry and important system files.

Cite?

All I can find is this: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/msgsrv32/

...which makes more sense to me.

#224744 - 31/03/2004 03:07 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: nightingales]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Windows Me

This might be your problem. Windows Me is a pile of carp.

#224745 - 31/03/2004 06:54 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: Roger]
nightingales

Good call, Roger. Now, of course, I can't remember where I saw that explanation of what msgsrv32 does. Your question caused me to find out and this is what it really does:
Handle Plug and Play messages between various parts of the operating system.
Handle responses to and from setup programs.
Display the initial logon dialog box if a network is present or profiles are enabled.
Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.
Load the Windows drivers at startup and then unload them at shutdown.
Run the shell program
After seeing a MS support message, my gut feeling is power management. I had been tinkering a little with that in the hopes to get to a point where the PC shuts itself down after inactivity and then the Rio could do a WOL.
I've seen so many remarks on Windows Me being crap before, so I had almost been waiting for this one. I think most Windows versions are pretty crappy, but as often in life, thats the cards you are dealt and you gotta play with them. In this case, I dont see the point of spending the money to upgrade an old computer in my basement to XP. At some point, my Athlon 2GHz will become the basement music server probably and that DOES have XP, but thats a few years out (I hope). Personally, I experienced less problems with Me than with 98, so I'm not sure why everybody keeps blasting it. Is it a cse of the one-eyed being king amongst the blind?

Marc

#224746 - 01/04/2004 01:23 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: nightingales]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Personally, I experienced less problems with Me than with 98, so I'm not sure why everybody keeps blasting it.

Because it's worse than Windows 98. Seriously. It was a step backwards. If you can, replace it with a copy of Win 98SE.

Alternatively, bung a copy of Linux on your old PC and run JReceiver or tRio or similar.

#224747 - 01/04/2004 10:36 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It was funny... After reading this thread yesterday, I turn on my Tivo and the TechTV guys were slamming ME so hard in one of their segments. They were talking about how Longhorn isn't coming out until 2006, and they were glad Microsoft was taking its time about it. "The last time Microsoft rushed out an operating system was Windows ME, and that was a complete disaster..." They talked about how some people even went back to Win95 after trying ME...

#224748 - 12/04/2004 07:45 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: tfabris]
nightingales

OK, I give in... just ordered my XP upgrade....
Marc

#224749 - 25/05/2004 14:29 Re: msgsrv32 Error [Re: nightingales]
dbrower
Quiet One

"upgrade to XP"

sigh. Linux, linux, linux is the right server for this stuff.

religiously,

-dB