Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#57414 - 10/01/2002 09:47 Another "Largest" Hard Drive post...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
When are the new drives coming out? 48 has been the largest for a long time now... the 30 GB drives never really dropped in price much, and the prices on Pricewatch.com have held steady for a long time now... I want to pick up a 48GB or 40GB for under $200, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon... I thought by Christmas we were supposed to get the pixie dust models...

On a side note, is there an external case I can get for one of my empeg drives that would allow me to hook it up to my notebook (after re-formating it to Windows) and connect via PCCard? I've seen packages that include the drive, but not any empty ones..

thx

#57415 - 10/01/2002 10:06 Re: Another "Largest" Hard Drive post... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I know. I have been eagerly awaiting the 60's as well, because I am running out of space again. The 48's have dropped in price to some extent, but not significantly. I think the lead time to get the 60's into the marketplace is still ticking. Your best place to watch for the drives being available will be the IBM laptops - once you start seeing them available as an option for new laptop purchases, the bare drives should be available a few weeks after that point.

#57416 - 10/01/2002 10:22 Re: Another "Largest" Hard Drive post... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Check this out, http://www.datafabusa.com/ they have some external cases for 2.5 drives.

Might be usable.

TommyE

#57417 - 10/01/2002 11:05 Re: Another "Largest" Hard Drive post... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
i've used external cases from addonics with good results. check out the Pocket EX Drive model. one nice feature is that you can put the notebook drive in one of their enclosures, and then use it via several interface methods. you can slide it into a docking bay on a desktop machine, or hook it up to any computer via USB 2.0, FireWire, PCMCIA, etc. very handy, and no special drivers required (under win2k, anyway).

--dan.