Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#97704 - 05/06/2002 14:48 Power supply died...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My power supply died for my new RioCar (bought in Dec.). I suppose it is still under warranty, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to contact support about it. Does anyone know what could kill one of these things? Could being in my car cause this?

#97705 - 05/06/2002 14:52 Re: Power supply died... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
I'd get in touch with David at support in Cambridge (UK) if I were you. He's really good and would probably have a new PS in the post to you in no time at all. It's not like they are the kind of thing you can fix or anything, and I'm pretty sure your warranty is good for 1 year.

#97706 - 05/06/2002 15:00 Re: Power supply died... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm sure you have ruled this out, but perhaps it was a power surge? I have repaired power supplies with bad components apparently caused by power surges. I don't know if there are any provisions for surge protection in the RioCar itself, but have you checked to see that the RioCar functions properly from another power source? If it doesn't, that's probably what happened.

I don't think being in the car would cause it, assuming you are infering high temperatures as the culprit. The components should all be rated to withstand far greater temperatures then you would encounter in the car, unless of course you were parked on the sun .

Stu

#97707 - 05/06/2002 15:07 Re: Power supply died... [Re: Derek]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Thanks guys. The player works fine on my old empeg power supply, so I know it's not the player....

Maybe I'll give Dave an email.. I just got the player back from repair too and he was very good in helping with that!