Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99454 - 14/06/2002 04:43 Too hot !!
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi everybody

We bought 2 10Gb Riocar some months ago, for me and a friend. I am quite nervous about the empeg internal temperature, in Madrid (Spain) we reach 45º in summer and even more inside the car. Yesterday, after stay in the glovebox for several hours at 30º, my friend's empeg didn't turn on when mounted in the car, and begun to sound "bzzzzz" through the amplifier. He hasn't installed Hijack so we didn't know if it was very hot. When plugged, nor the blue led lighted. Once at home, it started up as normal, the same today at the car.
Does anybody know what happens when it gets too hot? Is that sound normal, and the blue led off?
I've seen a fan installation, i'm planning on installing something similar on my car, but outside the sledge instead of inside the player. I would feed it with the amplifier signal cable. Is it a good idea?
Does anyone have a similar problem as us?

Thanks a lot:

Miguel
Madrid / Spain
Blue 10Gb MKIIa on a Seat Leon 20vt Cupra

#99455 - 14/06/2002 10:40 Re: Too hot !! [Re: mpelaz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Mpelaz, this is a FAQ entry. Please click here.

The player has a pullout design for many good reasons, one of which is so that you can protect it from extreme temperatures by not leaving it in the car.

#99456 - 15/08/2002 21:43 Re: Too hot !! [Re: mpelaz]
tngo
new poster

Loc: Southern CA, USA
the empeg recently suprised me when i heard a beeping noise. that's what it does when it gets really hot. i think it got hot for 2 reasons. 1 i was driving on a hot day. i live in los angeles, ca. and 2 i pumped the volume really loud to try to impress my friend who was driving next to me.

i'm suprised that my temp guaged worked because i read it being faulty. so now i am concerned about keeping the longevity of my empeg from reading the FAQ. i have a question.

how many people leave their empegs in the glove compartment when not in use? will it decrease the life of the hard drive from the heat inside the glove compartment? especially concerned in summer when my car can get really hot. is the trunk cooler?

#99457 - 15/08/2002 22:34 Re: Too hot !! [Re: tngo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
how many people leave their empegs in the glove compartment when not in use? will it decrease the life of the hard drive from the heat inside the glove compartment?

If the temperature in the glove box exceeds the stated non-operating drive specs (also in the FAQ), then the answer is yes it will decrease the hard drive lifespan. I'm guessing that since you live in LA, if your car is parked in the sun, it could easily do this.

is the trunk cooler?

Dunno, I'm sure it depends on the car, but I know that my car's trunk is probably a little bit cooler than my glove box.

But the real problem is the fact that you're leaving it in the car at all. The trunk and the glove box are not safe from theft. Trust me, I speak from experience, having had two CD players stolen.

How much do you like your player? And are you aware of how difficult it would be to replace it if it were stolen?

BRING THE PLAYER WITH YOU. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR AT ALL FOR ANY REASON.

#99458 - 16/08/2002 05:29 Re: Too hot !! [Re: tngo]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

The volume shouldn't have had much (if any) effect on the heat generated in the empeg. The output stage isn't handling much current at all, leaving the power stuff to the amp. The only way that volume can be a factor is if your empeg is mounted next to an exteranl HU that you are using for amplification...then the heat can transfer into the empeg. But loud volumes often generate less heat in an amplifier than quieter volumes. You will often find that around 1/3 volume generates the most heat in an amplifier.

#99459 - 20/08/2002 14:08 Re: Too hot !! [Re: genixia]
csf

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Try driving around in a jeep wrangler in North Carolina with no doors or top in the summer. You tend to see the "too hot" warning daily.

I'm working on a fan install.