Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#115002 - 05/09/2002 19:29 Spectrometer bands
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What frequency does each band of the various spectrometer visuals represent? Anyone know?

Stu

#115003 - 06/09/2002 09:03 Re: Spectrometer bands [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This isn't much information, but what I do know is: Some are linear divisions across the audible frequency spectrum (32 bands=audible spectrum divided by 32), others are logarithmically weighted (the ones with "Log" in their name).

#115004 - 12/09/2002 15:22 Re: Spectrometer bands [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks, I kind of figured that much . I guess then I would need to make a series of test tones at the low and high end to determine what the bandwidth of the spectrometer is and then divide by the number of bands.

Stu

#115005 - 16/09/2002 13:24 Re: Spectrometer bands [Re: maczrool]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, I ran a 20 - 20 kHz sweep test track on the spectro visuals, and it showed a pretty sharp peak across the whole display. I then used CoolEdit to create a track which stepped at known frequencies up the spectrum and marked them on a paper overlay. They were pretty good: if only we could create a background scale image (a la AnnaVU) to allow us to annotate the spectrum diagram so it could be used for reasonable calibration purposes. Whaddaya think, Toby?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#115006 - 16/09/2002 13:50 Re: Spectrometer bands [Re: schofiel]
maczrool
pooh-bah

So would you say the first band starts at 20 Hz and the last finishes at 20 kHz? I have sweep tones, but I never know quite when they start and finish, so I was considering using discrete tones instead.

Stu

#115007 - 17/09/2002 01:54 Re: Spectrometer bands [Re: maczrool]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, the sweep used to start at 20, and held for one second before carrying on, and I could clearly see it down at the bottom of the scale. However, I don't really know what the scale is meant to be displaying. Toby indicated that it was not really a serious display, just for fun, and you couldn't count on the calibration of the scale. Hence, you would be better off by determining which band centres you would actually like to use, then creating a sequence of tones of say 1-2 second duration. This would let you calibrate the frequency scale, at least. This was my intent, so that if we could place an image behind the scale, we could see specific frequency markers.

It's interesting to note that the HSX109 has a spectrograph visual, with a calibrated frequency scale. It's supposed to use a common code base with the car - the only major difference being the display resolution (which would make the text graphics difficult). How about it, Toby?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015