Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#181711 - 27/09/2003 17:40 Anyone have a spare IDE cable :(
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Anyone happen to have a spare IDE cable that I can buy? "Failed to unmask IDE" has now taken over my development Empeg ....

(side note: It figures that it dies now ... I literally got jEmplode to compile again about 5 minutes ago and right when I try to synchronize for the first time, it starts clicking. Incidentally, I thought jEmplode sync was totally broken till i realized it was doing a background sync -- kind of cool ).

I haven't ever actually opened my Empeg up (OK -- small lie -- I changed the colored lense), so I have no idea how much of a pain it is to test/fix/etc this problem. I assume if I'm just replacing the cable, it's pretty easy. The FAQ makes the "fix it yourself" route sound like a bad idea, so I'm guessing I should avoid that ... I should have stocked up on spare parts a while ago -- I should have known the inevitable was approaching.

ms

#181712 - 27/09/2003 19:57 Re: Anyone have a spare IDE cable :( [Re: mschrag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The FAQ makes the "fix it yourself" route sound like a bad idea
I didn't realize I did it that way. I intended it to be more like "it's a bad idea if you're a klutz but otherwise go for it".

Anyway, if you've never opened the player, you can't be sure it's a cable problem. It could be the IDE header, or any one of a number of other problems. You really should open it up and check it out.

#181713 - 27/09/2003 21:04 Re: Anyone have a spare IDE cable :( [Re: mschrag]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I'm of the opinion that most of the "cable failures" are really "header failures", as Tony suggested. Just run a soldering iron along each of the 44 pads of the IDE header on the mainboard (with IDE unplugged, so as not to melt something important..).

Cheers

#181714 - 28/09/2003 10:37 Re: Anyone have a spare IDE cable :( [Re: mlord]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Agreed. Of the 10 or so empegs i've opened up (all to check the cable) all but 2 of them had floating header pins... by that i mean they were just sitting on top of the solder on the pad instead of being incased by the solder.