Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208415 - 08/03/2004 13:34 Drive Upgrade - question about making a backup
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
My 60gb players are full (less than 1gb left). I'm going to remove one of the 30gb drives in each player and replace it with a 60gb drive to make a total of 90gb's. I normally make sync's to my PC via WsFTP so I have exact backup's of Drive0 and Drive1 in my player. Is there any other folders that I need to backup before my upgrade? After the upgrade I plan on just doing a reverse sync from my PC to my Empeg to restore the music and playlist's. This will work, right?

#208416 - 08/03/2004 18:48 Re: Drive Upgrade - question about making a backup [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there any other folders that I need to backup before my upgrade?
Only if you want to keep what's on the dynamic data partition. Instructions for doing so are here.

#208417 - 09/03/2004 11:23 Re: Drive Upgrade - question about making a backup [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Thanks Tony.

#208418 - 09/03/2004 11:42 Re: Drive Upgrade - question about making a backup [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Is the info on the dynamic data partition on Drive0 or Drive1? I'm only going to be replacing the secondary drive in my players, so if the DD is on Drive0, that will make it much easier. BTW, I normally backup the entire contents of both drives when I sync to my PC, not just the FID's directory. How will this affect my upgrade? Should I just replace the FID's when I'm done replacing the second drive? That's how the Drive Upgrade Instructions read to me, but since I have a complete copy of Drive1 I was going to just dump it all back on the player.

#208419 - 09/03/2004 12:11 Re: Drive Upgrade - question about making a backup [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is the info on the dynamic data partition on Drive0 or Drive1?
It is on Drive0 only.

I normally backup the entire contents of both drives when I sync to my PC, not just the FID's directory. How will this affect my upgrade?
For the purposes of creating a new disk drive that is a copy of the old one, realize that:

- You *MUST* use the builder image to create the new drive so that the partition scheme is correct.

- You *MUST* apply the proper 2.0-final upgrade file to the new drive so that all the player files are correct.

- When the player upgrade is applied, it overwrites a lot of stuff from scratch, so you're probably backing up a bunch of stuff you don't need to back up because it's part of the upgrade file, above. So you don't need to back up every file on every drive.

- So all that you need to worry about backing up is:
- your music and playlists (FIDs).
- your config.ini (maybe... that's easy enough to rebuild).
- dynamic data (maybe... only if it's important to you).
- any third-party applications you've installed (maybe).

- After you restore the FIDs, you *MUST* rebuild the database files.

Finally, please note that the Drive Upgrade guide has full instructions on how to transfer one drive's contents to another in place without messing with your PC backup files.