Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#218506 - 12/06/2004 05:20 Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions
russell
journeyman

I'm getting ready to have my mobile phone carkit fitted, whats the best way of getting the call coming through the Speakers. Do I

1. Connect the car kit to the Empeg aux in, using some sort off line level adapter ?
2. Connect the car kit in to the speaker lines using some relays
3. some other option i havn't thought off?

Russell.

#218507 - 12/06/2004 15:34 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I seem to recall that there was a feature added to Hijack which would switch to the aux-in when the mobile phone mute line (green wire on the empeg sled's wiring harness) went high. So the option of adding the car kit to the empeg's aux-in is do-able I think. However you must use Hijack and configure the player properly in order for it to work. I don't recall what the configuration options were exactly, though, so dig through the Hijack section of the FAQ to find out.

#218508 - 14/06/2004 02:56 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: tfabris]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Nice - I didn't realise it could do that, so I just used the mute line and the car kit's little speaker in the passenger footwell. Must go off and read the Hijack notes and faq again.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#218509 - 14/06/2004 10:38 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: frog51]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

and the car kit's little speaker
Wait, I thought you said you wanted the audio output from the telephone to go into the car stereo speakers. That's different than using the speaker that comes with the car kit.

If you just want the empeg to mute when a call comes in, you don't even need to do the special hijack features, the phone mute is built-in by default and is configured through the "configure player" screen in emplode.

Edit: Looking again, I just noticed that I replied to two different people, rather than the same person twice. Clarification noted above is still useful for posterity, so I'll leave it.

#218510 - 14/06/2004 13:01 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: tfabris]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I seem to recall that there was a feature added to Hijack which would switch to the aux-in when the mobile phone mute line (green wire on the empeg sled's wiring harness) went high.

This isn't a specific hijack feature, it's just one of the many things possible with IR macros. The mute line can be remapped to anything, mine just switches to AUX and back. Voladjust can then be used to even out the volumes of everything so it all sounds just right.

Matthew

#218511 - 14/06/2004 13:19 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: matthew_k]
russell
journeyman

Ok, I'm using Hijack,
Do i need to do anything to attenuate the the level coming out of the car kit in hardware or can the speaker out be connected directly to the aux in and have the software turn the volume down?

Russell

#218512 - 14/06/2004 13:50 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Assuming that the phone output isn't clipping the empeg's auxillary input then you can use software.

Check the volboost_aux parameter in the hijack FAQ.

#218513 - 14/06/2004 14:12 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Do i need to do anything to attenuate the the level coming out of the car kit in hardware
I don't know what level is coming out of your car kit. If it is speaker outputs, you will likely need to do something like a speaker-to-line-level converter to attach it to the line level inputs. Depending on how much power is behind that speaker output, you could fry the empeg by trying to connect speaker power to the aux-ins.

I know that two people have just given you contrary advice. I'm just saying that caution is in order because I don't know what kind of amplification is behind the car kit's outputs. Are they speaker outputs or line level outputs?

#218514 - 14/06/2004 14:23 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

My Parrot CK3000 has speaker level outs, so picked up a cheap line level converter and put it inbetween the parrot and the empeg's AUX in. This was a much better solution for me as it put sound quality above everything, as I had no desire to run my speaker wires through their switching relay.

Matthew

#218515 - 21/06/2004 14:47 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: matthew_k]
russell
journeyman

I've set this up and it's working sort of how I want but not quite.

I've added the follow to config.ini
[hijack]
extmute_on=0xb9461e
extmute_off=0xb9461d

It works fine when i'm listening to the player but if the source is already AUX (i.e i'm listening to the radio) it mutes the output so i can't hear the sound from the phone, then at the end off the call switches to the player source.

I would like to have different macros depending on the original source setting, I think this may be possible using the .A modifier etc. when the extmute_on happens, but i don't think it would work on the extmute_off event.

Has anyone any experience of this kind of setup.
If needs be i'll resort to writing some code myself but i would rather not!

R.

#218516 - 22/06/2004 01:26 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

I'm not too clear on what you're trying to accomplish exactly. Is your radio connected to the AUX or is your phone? I don't have a tuner module installed, so my switching to AUX for the phone is pretty simple. Tell us exactly how everything is hooked up and I bet someone can come up with a macro that'll work for you.

Matthew

#218517 - 22/06/2004 02:57 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: matthew_k]
russell
journeyman

I have kepted the stock Headunit which has an adapter for the mobile phone connected to its speaker outputs. this adapter feeds a speaker to line level adapter which in turn connects to my empegs aux in.

The mobile phones mute line connects to both the Radio and the empeg.

When i'm listerning to mp3 on the Empeg, and the phone rings every thing works fine, except at the end of the call the play stays paused.

If i'm listening to the radio when the phone rings. the Radio mutes as expected but the Empeg mutes it output, thus no sound at all. Also when the call ends it switch to the mp3 source.

Hope that explains my setup clearly enough.

R.

#218518 - 22/06/2004 06:56 Re: Mobile Phone Car Kit Questions [Re: russell]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I would like to have different macros depending on the original source setting, I think this may be possible using the .A modifier etc. when the extmute_on happens, but i don't think it would work on the extmute_off event.

Sheesh, the IR hackers here have forgotten all the tricks since they got their own setups working a couple of years back!!

Here's how to go about it in this case:

The extmute_on/extmute_off codes can be just about any codes you want them to be, with a few restrictions only on the highest order 4 bits or so. This means you can do this:
[hijack]

extmute_on=0x1234
extmust_off=0x5678
Now, of course those two codes by themselves don't mean anything to the player software. But.. you can now define meanings for them, in terms of Hijack IR-translation macros. For example:
[ir_translate]

0x1234.M=Auxiliary
0x1234.T=Auxiliary.S
0x5678.S=Player
0x5678=Tuner
Or something like that. Hopefully you can figure the rest out by experimentation, and maybe.. just maybe, some of the original IR -translate users here will jog their memories now and add some ideas.

Cheers