Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232144 - 31/08/2004 00:36 Custom install of empeg software?
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I have a bunch of random programs skewed across my many directorys and partitions of my empeg, so I am considering wiping it clean and redo it all organized. Is it possible to somehow increase the /usr/local/bin dir so I can fit all the 3rd party apps i want on there instead of using /drive0 ? that way I wont have to worry bout shutting off programs to sync etc and just keep everything in one nice central location. Thanks!
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#232145 - 31/08/2004 01:18 Re: Custom install of empeg software? [Re: SonicSnoop]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not without screwing up the way the partitions get re-created when you perform an upgrade, if I recall correctly. The other option is to use the developer partition and mount it as /programs0. That's not a huge amount of space though, and the mount point has to be re-created each time you do an upgrade.

There are a lot of advantages to putting your apps on the music partition. For really large user apps (such as the map data for GPSapp+Roadmap), the only place there's enough room is on the music partition. And the only way something will fully survive an upgrade is to put it on the music partition.

Personally, I just make all the third party stuff run in @DC mode only, so that I never have to worry about shutting it off before I sync. All my third party programs survive through upgrades, and I never have trouble synching.

#232146 - 31/08/2004 02:07 Re: Custom install of empeg software? [Re: SonicSnoop]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I mount /dev/hda2 to /usr/local. I EXEC_ONCE a /bin/mount /usr/local in config.ini to mount it for 3rd party apps. You can even use /usr/local/lib for libraries if you append it to the library path before execution. My binaries go into /usr/local/bin. /dev/hda2 gives you 32 megs if I remember right.

Was there not a project started at one time to create a standard install environment for the Empeg? Maybe someday we could re-visit that, especially since new features like site exec have become available in Hijack.

Edit: here is the thread.

Edited by cushman (31/08/2004 02:17)