Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#253411 - 04/04/2005 19:30 No Hard Drive Found but only in car
kpollari
new poster

I'm getting the above error but only when I use the empeg in the car. The error comes up pretty quickly. My MK2 as 2 20GB hard drives installed. The second drive was installed in the last 6 months. I also replaced the IDE cable a few years ago.

Could this be caused by low voltage?

The car starts easily but I think I'm at the end of my battery life. The battery is almost 5 years old.

Thanks,
Kermit

#253412 - 04/04/2005 22:22 Re: No Hard Drive Found but only in car [Re: kpollari]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Could this be caused by low voltage?

That is one possible cause, among many others.

Other possible causes which would account for the "only in car" symptom would be related to mistakes wiring up the docking sled, or substandard wiring or connection points going to the docking sled. Or perhaps a faulty docking sled itself.

#253413 - 06/05/2005 13:08 Re: No Hard Drive Found but only in car [Re: kpollari]
kpollari
new poster

Well I finally opened the empeg to see what the problem was. It turns out a portion of the IDE cable was touching the display board behind the buttons. A solder joint from one of the pins from the right menu button had worn a hole in the cable and was shorting it out. This also explains why the empeg would shut off when I pressed the right menu button. I think my problems were intermittent because of temperature changes.

#253414 - 06/05/2005 18:14 Re: No Hard Drive Found but only in car [Re: kpollari]
TigerJimmy
old hand

This exact same failure happened to me a couple of years ago. Use hot melt glue to glue the cable to the top of the disks. You probably don't need a new cable if only one conductor is pierced, but I replaced mine.

Jim

#253415 - 10/05/2005 16:43 Re: No Hard Drive Found but only in car [Re: TigerJimmy]
kpollari
new poster

My problems reappeared shortly after fixing the short. So, I opened it up today and found dry solder joints on the IDE header. I had a co-worker solder the problem pins and the player is working again.

The empeg probably has a shortened lifespan when installed in a vehicle with a firm suspension. I hope I can get a few more years out of it. I've had it for 5 years.