Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#278215 - 23/03/2006 18:33 Erratic behavior/ right button malfunction.
jono
new poster

I'm having a strange problem with an empeg. I put it in the car and it started skipping forward, fast-forwarding, etc. I switched it off but it kept turning back on- I finally pulled it. I figured I had over-tightened the facia, so I backed off the front screws a bit and plugged it in at my desk. I streamed from it all day and it didn't go nuts, but when I brought it home and tested it the craziness started up again. I pulled the front face and buttons to eliminate button seating issues, but it's intermittantly possesed. And the right/fast fwd button has now stopped working altogether. I found the thread on the /proc/empeg but the missed interrupts are low (6-12 in an hour) and consistent with my non-crazy backup empeg. I'm thinking that the right switch is faulty at this point, but wanted to check in case my search-fu was weak and I had missed something...

#278216 - 23/03/2006 20:03 Re: Erratic behavior/ right button malfunction. [Re: jono]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
And the right/fast fwd button has now stopped working altogether.

This sounds like the solder connecting the button to the display board is broken. Take a close look with a magnifier, if possible.

#278217 - 23/03/2006 23:24 Re: Erratic behavior/ right button malfunction. [Re: jono]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's possible that it's a solder joint issue with the buttons, but have you also checked this problem? Sounds almost exactly like what you describe.

#278218 - 23/03/2006 23:59 Re: Erratic behavior/ right button malfunction. [Re: pgrzelak]
jono
new poster

Ah-ha. I should have popped the top and looked back there first. I think I've solved this one. You see, the unit had a flakey IDE cable- I would get a no drives found every couple of weeks, but when I opened it up and moved the ide cable, it would be fine for a while. I changed the cable last month and used the longer version. It appears I didn't fold right, as the cable was pushing into the solder lead, which had stripped/melted the sheilding on the ide cable. The button was shorting on the cable. I pulled it back from the button and everything seems back to normal. Thanks.

#278219 - 24/03/2006 02:47 Re: Erratic behavior/ right button malfunction. [Re: jono]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Excellent! Glad you got it taken care of.