Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281360 - 11/05/2006 18:01 HD Upgrade Instructions?
Miyuki
new poster

My Mk2 died a few months back. Completely stock. After applying power, the blue light would come on, and nothing would happen no matter what I press. I assumed it was a dead HD. Was that assumption correct?

So I finally got access to a replacement drive. I've got the drive cadge out, and I'm ready to start setting up the new drive (a 40gb Fujitsu), but it seems that the upgrade instructions that I had carfully bookmarked are gone. Anyone have a copy? I need all the software setup instructions. I've got all the last of the official images ...consumer and developer images as well as the last beta13 image and emplode. Last time I checked the HD upgrade instructions, I thought that was it.

#281361 - 11/05/2006 18:25 Re: HD Upgrade Instructions? [Re: Miyuki]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Was that assumption correct?

Not likely. Sounds like some sort of other hardware failure. You may want to check your player for loose screws floating around internally, a diplay cable that has frayed and shorted, and display fuses among other things.

Generally, when the drive fails, you get a message onscreen saying "Hard disk not found. Contact Support."

Try grabbing a boot log and posting it back here.

#281362 - 11/05/2006 19:12 Re: HD Upgrade Instructions? [Re: Miyuki]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
My Mk2 died a few months back. Completely stock. After applying power, the blue light would come on, and nothing would happen no matter what I press. I assumed it was a dead HD. Was that assumption correct?

No, it wasn't. The display should have come on, and eventually a "contract support" message should have appeared on it.

If the display never came on, then it could be one of several possible things, like a blown display fuse, corrupted flash memory (just reflash the kernel to fix it), or something else.

Cheers