Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#312897 - 12/08/2008 12:52 Tuner Reception
treize
new poster

Loc: California
I've had an original tuner hooked up to my empeg in my 2000 Acura Integra for over a year now. over the past month the reception has declined. I still get a signal, but there are times where I will only get static or the signal is at one bar or less. There has never been a time where I have ever had more than two bars of signal strength with any of the local stations.

I've checked all the pin connections and had to solder the blue amp remote wire pin, however this only fixed the problem slightly. I don't get static as often, but the reception is still not at the level it was in the past. To the best of my knowledge, the other pins looked secure. While the tuner's antenna connection is listed as an ISO connection, when I installed it I just hooked it up directly to the antenna. Should I have used some kind of ISO/DIN adapter or is that not even necessary? Are there other steps I should be taking? I've done a few searches and I'm hoping it is not an RF module problem.

I have a MK2a, running v2.0 final and hijack v476 if that helps. Please let me know if I need to provide any more info. Thanks.

#312923 - 12/08/2008 16:21 Re: Tuner Reception [Re: treize]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: treize
I've checked all the pin connections and had to solder the blue amp remote wire pin

Remember that the amp remote wire and the antenna remote wire are two different things. Which did you solder? Which one (if any) is hooked up to your antenna's signal booster line (if any)? What is the make and model of your car?

#312927 - 12/08/2008 18:23 Re: Tuner Reception [Re: tfabris]
treize
new poster

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: treize
I've checked all the pin connections and had to solder the blue amp remote wire pin

Remember that the amp remote wire and the antenna remote wire are two different things. Which did you solder? Which one (if any) is hooked up to your antenna's signal booster line (if any)? What is the make and model of your car?

My car is a 2000 Acura Integra. I soldered the blue wire going into terminal 2 of the dock connector. The FAQ labels it as amp remote. The was the only wire I noticed to be lose. As to whether that helps the reception or not I'm not sure, but it did need to be repaired. I do not have an ISO plug, so the blue wire normally coming from pin 2 of the docking connector and going to pin 5 of the ISO plug, is soldered to the wire going to pin 8 of the Tuner plug. I hope that made sense lol. Those are also soldered to what I believe to be my car's Radio Constant Wire (also blue). I'll have to double check that later.

I didn't see any mention of an antenna signal amplifier for my car or the need for an aftermarket one while searching for it. I was wondering if that might be my problem. I should probably stop by a stereo shop and ask.