Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#364630 - 06/09/2015 09:26 (undefined instruction vector)
aksnowbiker
new poster

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Hi, I have a MKII that belonged to Doug (tanstaafl) that worked fine in the car, and mostly fine in the house. The DC adapter is only rated at 1A, so there were a few hiccups, but basically OK. I unplugged it, put it in the car, and only got the heartbeat light. Same is true on the bench. The emplode utility can't find it.

It's a 080000559, IC9 Rev. 1.00, with a Eutronix add-on in the rear of the chassis. (What is that add-on, anyway?)

It has 3.4 volts where the 3v jumper is, and 5.1 volts at the 5v jumper, so it doesn't appear that power is an issue.

The console reports:

empeg-car bootstrap v1.00 20000601 ([email protected])
If there is anyone present who wants to upgrade the flash, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace...it seems not. Let fly the Penguins of Linux!
(undefined instruction vector)

Thanks!

(Oh, and Hi Doug!)

Tom Clark
up in Fairbanks, Alaska

#364631 - 06/09/2015 12:43 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Tom -- Did you remember to go back into HiJack and set the player to force DC boot after you used it in the house in AC mode? Remember that the leaf switch in the AC jack has failed...

tanstaafl.

#364632 - 06/09/2015 12:53 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
In car mode, ISTR that it is normal and expected that emplode cannot contact the player software.

#364635 - 06/09/2015 17:16 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
aksnowbiker
new poster

Clearly, I wrote a crappy post. I'll try again.

The unit is equally unresponsive both in the car and on the bench. It does not boot up, and I only get the heart beat LED on the front panel. The blue LED on the back is on solidly, as is the red one inside. The screen is blank.

The output captured from the serial port is the entire boot process. Can the machine be in car mode or house mode if it hasn't even fully booted? It seems like it is in NO mode.

#364636 - 06/09/2015 19:18 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Reapply an upgrade file.

#364639 - 07/09/2015 07:18 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
aksnowbiker
new poster

Indeed, reapplying an upgrade file did the trick. Is it reapplying if it is my first time ever, even though the player has probably seen dozens?

Also, the weird hiccuping was caused by insufficient power from the AC adapter. On the bench power supply it works fine. I lost Hijack, so I need to reinstall.

Thanks,
Tom

#364641 - 07/09/2015 09:48 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: aksnowbiker
Indeed, reapplying an upgrade file did the trick.

I'd just like to point out that that wasn't cargo-cult debugging:

Code:
(undefined instruction vector)
means that the processor tried to execute some bogus code, which might simply be flash corruption.

Code:
let them speak now, or forever hold their peace...it seems not.
means that the protected flash is probably OK.

So: you might as well try to reflash with an upgrade file...

#364653 - 08/09/2015 17:53 Re: (undefined instruction vector) [Re: aksnowbiker]
aksnowbiker
new poster

Thanks, Roger. I think that the reason that I posted in the first place was that I wanted some reassurance that things weren't hopeless...

So, the unit is happily operating now. I applied the Mark 2 2.01 developer .upgrade file, and then used the Linux "download" utility to install the latest Hijack. Mark's Hijack page didn't make mention of the serial port argument to the download utility. It was only after invoking "download" without any arguments that I saw that a serial port could be added as a third argument. Very smooth process, once you know how.