Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9810 - 24/06/2000 16:45 Computer com port problem
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
I am having a very hard time with my laptop (thanks to it, rob got some of my credit card money early, though he didn't get to keep it), my com port is trying to connect top something, but I just can't find out what the hell is trying to do it. None of the software I run requires it, except my comms package which was allready installed before the problem. Thing is, I wanted Beta11pre on, but wasn't to bothered, but now beta11 is out, I definatly wanted that on, but without use of the com port .

Of course I use USB to upload my MP3's, but it's no good for upgrades to the empeg (hope your working on that guys, that would be very handy).

Any1 got any cluse as to what the problem could be, or a way to find out more about what is using my com port?

Proud owner of #161
Proud owner of #161

#9811 - 25/06/2000 13:38 Re: Computer com port problem [Re: ppslim]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Assuming you are running Windows 98, restart the computer fresh, then when you are at the desktop again, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the list of running programs. Go ahead and end task to every one listed there except Explorer and Systray. Once you do that, load up the Beta 11 upgrade file and try it again. If this works, then something is starting up with you computer that is capturing that com port. Most PDA software will do this.

I really need to get a new job outside tech support :-)