Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11072 - 08/07/2000 06:39 Please change Wheel RMT
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi !

Ohhh please, would you change the behaviour of one of the buttons of the kennwood wheel remote ??
Please change the button that currently selects the source to have the function of the "down" button on the empeg -> i cannot get into the menus with my wheel remote otherwise ...
Would that be possible, and do the others agree ???

Nils

P.S. still nagging : where does the loudness option go, and could you please get it back ????????? :-)

#11073 - 08/07/2000 11:01 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We already said that loudness was dropped by accident, and will be back in the next release.

Rob

#11074 - 08/07/2000 20:13 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Me too.

TommyE

#11075 - 10/07/2000 01:43 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I know this should probably be in a wish list post, but is there any plan on the horizon to have the buttons' behaviour configurable from emplode?

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#11076 - 10/07/2000 02:32 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
..you could buy the complement RMT controller from Kenwood that makes up the remainder of the key selections supported by the credit card controller currently supplied. I can't recall the part number, but both types of controller are described on the Kenwood website.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#11077 - 10/07/2000 05:56 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: PaulWay]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The problem is, the buttons send the same codes as the ones on the credit card remote. Changing the settings for the wheel remote would probably have a nasty impact on functionality available on the credit card one...

Hugo

#11078 - 10/07/2000 06:19 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: altman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

...except that he postulated the SRC button, which is not on the credit card; on the CC there are seperate source select buttons. It would be possible.

The problem with this suggestion is that you would also need the equivalent of the * to get out of the menu to complement it. That would require change to one of the other buttons, which *would* affect the credit card functionality.

Nah, he'd be better buying the other wheel remote unit. Besides, I am used to the way the current SW remote works.

#11079 - 10/07/2000 06:34 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Nils

Hey i just bought the wheel remote 4 days ago ! :-)
I don't want to buy another, just because the option is not yet available !!!
So the option would be to implement a switch "optimized for checkcard RMT" or "optimized for Nils crappy wheel remote", but all of this would end if we could configure it by ourselves ...
Maybe just add a .ini file, no GUI needed, we are no idiots, PLEASE empeg people ....

Nils

#11080 - 10/07/2000 07:32 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Nils, I think you have me wrong; there are two types of Kenwood steering remotes. You have probably got the basic control set type. If you buy the second one, it provides a second set of extended controls, making the full set of codes realised in the credit card controller. You put one on one side of the wheel, and the other... well, on the other side

Although you have to pay for this solution, it doesn't require Mike and the boys to put in any more effort, or have to make a new release.

The nice thing about it is...

... it's available immediately and it works today!

#11081 - 10/07/2000 07:48 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Nils

Hi schoffel !

What is the production code for it ?? i can't find it ...

Nils

P.S. i am just curious :) but i don't think i am going to buy even more stuff, if the thing that i want can be done simply in Software, i do not need 10 additional buttons, i only need the existing 8 buttons to do what i want ...

#11082 - 11/07/2000 03:29 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Well, after much digging around, I have to conclude you're right! I can't find it either.

About the time I picked up my Mk1 last August, I was looking at Kenwood's remotes. At that time they had three steering remotes, the KCA-R700 and two others. The 700 was the basic one, and the other two provided extra key sets. You apparently chose which additional one you wanted depending on your head unit.

Digging around yesterday, I can no longer find the additional ones, implying that they have been withdrawn. I had a look back through my old catalogues, but I have nad no joy there either.

I seem to recall that the two extra units were numbered 701 & 702, but I am not sure and cannot find any references to these numbers.

It probably means that the only way you wil be able to manipulate the menu from the remote will be (as you propose) would be the modification of the empeg response to the SRC button on the 700, but how do you propose to generate the "Menu Exit" functionality now handled by the * on the R600 remote?

#11083 - 11/07/2000 03:58 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
From memory (I haven't looked at the remote for months, because it's behind my wheel) the steering wheel remote has 2 buttons the normal remote doesn't have
Att (used as Play/Pause) and Src (Used to switch sources)

My thought is to use the Att button and the src button as the up and down buttons on the front of the empeg...

This would solve the problem, without breaking the normal remote (I think)

Indeed a quick search found the following on the Wish List thread from Tychl, with a reply from Mac

Tychl says
In reply to:

I picked up one of these remotes last night and tried it out, very nice. It would work better for me if the "src" button worked like the bottom button on the empeg and the "att" button worked like the top. Other than that though, they are really nice, good button feedback, easy to hit the right one, etc.

Mac Replies

In reply to:

I think I'll give that a go. Is there anyone else out there who has these remotes (I know someone does, since they noticed that the extra buttons started working when I added support for it)? Do you agree?

Did anything come of this?

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 for sale 4 gig #30, apply within)

Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#11084 - 11/07/2000 04:38 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Jazzwire]
Nils

yes yes yes, me tooooooooo :-)

Sounds good, Jazzwire !!!

Mac, do you read this ?
Please do :-p

Nils

P.S. Schoffel -> probably the simply discontinued the 701 & 702, even when i invested more time i couldn't find any more wheel remotes, also my dealer don't know any others, so i guess they are simply not there, at least in Germany ...
AND i like an easy to use wheel remote, not too much buttons, to use it *without* looking at it...

#11085 - 11/07/2000 05:11 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Jazzwire]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

OK, OK, I'm convinced. So now how do you get PLAY functionality if you replace ATT and SRC on the R700?

#11086 - 11/07/2000 05:22 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

The bottom button on the front does the pause/play stuff already (when not in menus, obviously) So that would be covered... =)
To actually select a playlist, you use the top button, which automatically starts it playing, so that's covered as well... =)

We shall just have to wait and see... =)

Jazz

#11087 - 11/07/2000 08:11 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Jazzwire]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

You mean the top and bottom buttons of the empeg front panel?

Naaaah, that's cheating! It has to go on the remote, otherwise what's the point of the remote in the first place! When I'm driving, I frequently use the forward/back, play/pause (ATT) and the volume. Without the ATT, then I can't just pause without having to dive to the front panel (where I risk multiple key presses due to my Mini's bumpy suspension ).

Although I agree that it would be nice to change playlists while driving, this activity itself is pretty intensive depending on how you arrange your playlists. For me, I have to look at the empeg to close the control-activity loop, making it dodgy while driving. Given empeg Ltd. have implemented the "wally startup protection" feature to prevent accidents, I doubt they will be immediately interested in adding this for the R700. And yes I know, I have re-read what Mike said about implementing this, so it might have well been on the wish list once, but Mike wrote it a long time ago, before release 10.Nanny

In the end, it's a toss up between people wanting play/pause (ATT) plus radio select (SRC), or Menu enter (SRC)/Menu exit (ATT). Why not start a thread getting R700 owners to vote on a preference? Mike and Hugo can then ignore it at their leisure, and we get a sense of righteousness at the propogation of the myth of democracy

#11088 - 11/07/2000 08:27 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

Sorry, I didn't make it clear...

I would like the src and att buttons on the remote to do the _same_ functions as the top and bottom buttons on the empeg... Hence my comment previously... =)

This would give you the play/pause (bottom button functionality) but not the source change (I never use the radio anyway... =)

However, I'd settle for the src button being used to start the speech recognition... =)

Jazz

#11089 - 11/07/2000 10:07 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: Jazzwire]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

BZZZT!! Wrong! Won't work!

I did understand what you meant - you explained it OK.

What I failed to explain is the following: a console button can be held down, and the state of the button and the amount of time pressed can be measured. On the remote, (depending on the button) the button code pattern is either sent once, or repeated when you hold it down. This makes every Tx of a code discrete. How will the empeg know the difference between a single press of the remote * and a hold down, as it will just see a stream of repeated key code patterns?

This means Mike would have to loop and time the number of repeats in order to put "dual functionality" on a remote keypad button - non-trivial, and I seem to remember him groaning at the prospect some time ago.

I am not convinced this is feasible - calling Mr. M. Crowe, O Mighty Respected Programmer of All Features Great & Small, care to toss your sixpenn' 'orth in t' 'at?

those of you requiring translation services may contact me off list

#11090 - 11/07/2000 10:17 Re: Please change Wheel RMT [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

But the menu and play/pause functionality of the front buttons are single clicks... =)

I didn't expect the hold down turn the visuals back on type functionality... =)

Jazz