Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#21244 - 27/10/2000 19:35 Fun with RGB values.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have a request...

My Empeg Logo Editor is shaping up nicely, and I'd like to put a finishing touch on it.

Right now, the default colors for the preview window are just guesses based on what I think the various display colors might look like. I've already been informed that the values are probably a little "off".

Fortunately, I've added the ability to edit these colors in the .INI file. What I'd like, if anyone is up to it, is for owners of the various colors to play with these values and see if they can make better approximations than I have. If anyone sends me good ones, I'll change the installation defaults to those values.

There is a COLORS.TXT file in the directory with the logo editor that describes how to edit the color values.

Anyone up to the challenge?

#21245 - 28/10/2000 03:43 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
ChrisTall
new poster

Loc: South Wales, UK
I'd just like to say what a fantastic job you've done with LogoEditor. I especially like the "Yoda" image included with version 1.2.

However, whilst trying to upload to my empeg on com3 the machine totally locks up. I have to press the reset button on the front to reboot. I also get this if I use Conex, but I can use CRT and LogoManager(Nokia phones) over com3 without any trouble. I have no problems with com1 or com2 with LogoEditor at all.
I recently installed com2 and com3 and had to set com3 to use IRQ9 instead of IRQ4 so this may be the problem...

ChrisTall
That really is my name!

#21246 - 28/10/2000 10:20 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: ChrisTall]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'd just like to say what a fantastic job you've done with LogoEditor. I especially like the "Yoda" image included with version 1.2.

Thanks! That was one of the test images I was using to adjust the gray cutoffs for color reduction. Hopefully LucasFilm won't be coming after my ass any time soon...

I recently installed com2 and com3 and had to set com3 to use IRQ9 instead of IRQ4 so this may be the problem...

Interesting. The upload is performed with some fairly simple code, found right here. I don't think the code tries to mess with any IRQ settings, but that sounds like a likely candidate.

Take a look at your Devices panel and see who's on that IRQ along with COM3. Here's how to do it:

• Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".

• Click on the "Device Manager" tab.

• At the top of the list is "Computer". Right click on "Computer" and select "Properties".

You should be looking at an ordered list of your IRQs. On my system, IRQ 9 is getting used by two devices already, so if I were in your boat, I wouldn't put my COM3 on IRQ 9.

In fact, I have been in your boat before, and I've had to juggle IRQs to get three COM ports working. I've done it several times now, as I add and remove devices from the system. Currently, I've settled on having the COM ports on their default IRQs -meaning 1 and 3 share an IRQ- and I have to be content with the fact that I can't have both devices active at the same time.

I've seen lots of different pieces of software that don't like nonstandard IRQs for the COM ports, so this isn't unusual.

#21247 - 28/10/2000 11:33 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Thanks! That was one of the test images I was using to adjust the gray cutoffs for color reduction. Hopefully LucasFilm won't be coming after my ass any time soon...

I told George and he's personally coming over to kick your ass Mr.!!! ;]

|| loren.cox

#21248 - 28/10/2000 11:42 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I told George and he's personally coming over to kick your ass Mr.!!! ;]

Oh, I'm not worried about George. I'd just show him the Empeg and he'll be so impressed he'll want to buy a bunch of them for all the guys working at the Ranch.

#21249 - 28/10/2000 12:52 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
As long as he doesn't see the letters D V D on it George likes every electronic gizmo ...

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#21250 - 31/10/2000 10:06 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
Bagpuss

Loc: UK
Tony,

I think there may be a problem with trying to get a generic set of colour values for the preview screen.

Both my friend and I have blue mk2 Empegs, but the actual colour of the faceplates is noticeably different, his seeming to have a much greater green component to the colour. Mine however, is a very deep blue.

I'm not sure if this variance in the panel colours should exist, but it certainly does. Both Empegs were purchased at the same time on the same order, and should be identical.

Anyone else seen this?

Andy.

#21251 - 31/10/2000 10:31 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: Bagpuss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Both my friend and I have blue mk2 Empegs, but the actual colour of the faceplates is noticeably different, his seeming to have a much greater green component to the colour. Mine however, is a very deep blue.

Interesting. Yours sounds like more of a Mk1 blue color, does that sound correct?

I could, if necessary, add even more color options to the menu. Or perhaps the only variation is in the blue screens and it's OK since I already have a Mk1/Mk2 blue option.

Even with the variation, I'd still like to see if anyone else can come up with more realistic values. I have no idea whether I'm even close with the red and amber options since I don't own those faces. I own a greeen and a blue for my Mk1, but have never seen a Mk2 blue so I'm only going on hearsay.

Besides, I've got a 1.3 ready to release once I get some better color values plugged in. Can you say "drag and drop"? I knew you could.

#21252 - 31/10/2000 14:04 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
Bagpuss

Tony,

I think you've got the Mk1/2 blue pretty well sorted. The blue on my Mk2 is definitely closer to the Mk1 if Logoedit is even close to being correct.

I also have a red faceplate for my Mk2, so I will fit it and see if I can improve on the colours you are currently using. I think that everything is definitely too bright on your current red preview. If you've ever seen the amber illumination used on current BMWs, then you've seen what the red faceplate on a Mk2 looks like.

Another issue I've thought of is colour temperature on peoples monitors. What looks okay on one monitor, may be way off on another. I am currently running my Win2K system with two monitors, one CRT and one LCD. The colours on the LCD are nowhere near as vibrant as on the CRT.

I guess you will never get it exactly right, unless you get really involved all sorts of messy colour calibration for each monitor.

Andy.

#21253 - 31/10/2000 14:19 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: Bagpuss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You're right, the color will vary from monitor to monitor. That's one reason I left the colors editable. But I figured it was better to get it "close" for CRT viewing. My concern is that the red and amber might not even be close.

How soon were you thinking of trying your hand at the red colors? I've got 1.3 ready to release and wanted to do it before the end of the day (about 3 hours from now).

#21254 - 31/10/2000 17:23 Re: Fun with RGB values. [Re: tfabris]
Bagpuss

Tony,

I doubt I'll be able to do it before you want to release 1.3. I'll try and do it tomorrow morning, and e-mail you the results.

Andy.