Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#48718 - 01/12/2001 05:12 displayserver kind of
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
okay i have the old faithful displayserver 1.1 running fine on my empeg but the only wringle is that my girlfriends computer when ever i go anywhere near display server with internet explorer it wants to go online how do i stop it

thank you

#48719 - 01/12/2001 06:04 Re: displayserver kind of [Re: thinfourth2]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I've had this problem at work. In IE you need to go into 'Tools', ' Internet Options' select the 'Connections' tab and make sure that 'Never dial a connection' is selected. This should enable you to see Displayserver. Downside is that when you want to actually connect to the Internet you need to connect manually before you run IE. If anyone has a better way maybe they can let us know.

#48720 - 01/12/2001 11:23 Re: displayserver kind of [Re: beaker]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't use Displayserver yet, and that's how I keep my Internet Explorer set. Why would I want it to launch my dial-up connection when I launch a program? IE has far too many uses offline to have it autolaunch a connection each time it's started. If I want to go online, I press my ONLINE button next to my system tray (a shortcut to my specific connection file). Or in programs like Agent, for Mail and News, I do have dialup enabled, but to make it activate I press the program's Online button - otherwise I can use it offline.

The setting can also be found in the "Internet Options" control panel (which is exactly the same panel as when pulling the options menu up from IE.)

Of course if IE was smart enough to only try connecting when it can't resolve a domain, or when accessing a domain it knows to be online... Then again, maybe it has this functionality and I just don't know because I keep the option off. If it does, then you'd have to nuke the IE Start Page, or point it to something Offline, to prevent IE launching your dial-up. I would think you should be able to read local HTML files without IE taking you online for instance.

Bruno

/edit/ Sorry I forgot... You can also get rid of your girlfriend. :) YMMV.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/12/2001 11:25)

#48721 - 01/12/2001 13:03 Re: displayserver kind of [Re: hybrid8]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i wouldn't want to get rid of her, she has got a far faster computer than my old celeron clunker

but then again she just switched on blind date so you might have a point

#48722 - 01/12/2001 15:22 Re: displayserver kind of [Re: beaker]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It seems like there ought to be a way to get IE to not dial when the site is in its Local Intranet Zone (Tools->Internet Options->Security) or something. Any Windows gurus out there?