Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56401 - 08/01/2002 10:16 Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers?
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I saw this comment from mlord in another thread and now I'm curious...

Taking a look at the system LoadAvg values from the "Hijack Vitals" screen can be very instructive, especially when music is playing and visuals are active.. the system is often around or above 100% load, contrary to early claims of light loading from the makers.

This is very intriguing to me. I believe early quotes were that (something like) 30% of the CPU was used for decoding, visuals, etc. leaving "plenty of headroom" for user apps and the like. Has this changed? Have new visuals, re-vamped decoding engines, etc. increased the amount of CPU the player app is using? I'd like some input from the Empeg guys mainly, but if anyone's done any side-by-side comparison, that'd be neat to see. I have a 2nd Empeg that I might give a couple of test runs with 1.03, but I wanted to see if anyone has any existing information first.

#56402 - 08/01/2002 10:21 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I was wondering the exact same thing... I remember bragging to people about how it only used 30% of it's "brain"... Normally, this wouldn't matter, but for the people working on 3rd party aps like navigation or GPS...

#56403 - 08/01/2002 10:51 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

3rd party aps like navigation or GPS...

.. or Trivia games, or lyrics scrollers... :)

Exactly why I posed the question... I have some personal interest in how much CPU will be available for the stuff I'm working on.

#56404 - 08/01/2002 14:47 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
This is very intriguing to me. I believe early quotes were that (something like) 30% of the CPU was used for decoding, visuals, etc. leaving "plenty of headroom" for user apps and the like. Has this changed?

If I understand correctly the player software uses real time scheduling. The result of this is that it grabs basically all available CPU in case it needs it. It may only use 30% of the time it takes, but the rest is wasted. In order to get any significant cpu time another app would need to use the same scheduling method. I don't really understand the details though and I always wondered if it could somehow be set to take a fixed percentage of the CPU leaving some time for other apps. FWIW earlier versions of the player software also kept the load near 100%.

-Mike

#56405 - 08/01/2002 15:00 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I ran d.net back on my Mark 1 with Beta 9c, and again now on 2.0 B7. Here are the numbers I got from running it normally:

Mk1 with no player running - ~250kkeys/s
Mk1 with player running ~ 175kkeys/s
Mk2 with no player running ~277kkeys/s
Mk2 with player running (and visuals, not sure about the Mk1 stat) ~ 100kkeys/s

I think the boost in speed from the Mark 1 to the 2 is just the fact that the client has been revised a few times since then.

#56406 - 14/01/2002 12:18 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
To put some perspective on this, the HSX109 has a slightly slower processor than the car player and can rip from CD (without DMA) at the same time as playing audio, streaming to receivers and displaying visuals on a much larger screen - or background encode MP3 files while doing those things.

Rob

#56407 - 14/01/2002 16:03 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: rob]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Rob.

Ok, but at which priorities / scheduling policies do these other processes run? And you had the chance to optimize their cooperation on both sides: Player as well as its concurrent/parallel tasks, we are only able to influence the behaviour of the add-ons, not that of the player. At least if I see all this right.

cu,
sven

#56408 - 14/01/2002 20:44 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: rob]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I already caught this info when you guys announced it, but everytime I hear it, I just gotta say "Wow!" You guys kick butt.

Now, to humble myself, what is DMA?

#56409 - 14/01/2002 21:05 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Chao

Direct Memory Access

To be more specific-

Direct Memory Access (DMA) is a capability provided by some computer bus architectures that allows data to be sent directly from an attached device (such as a disk drive) to the memory on the computer's motherboard. The microprocessor is freed from involvement with the data transfer, thus speeding up overall computer operation.
Usually a specified portion of memory is designated as an area to be used for direct memory access. In the ISA bus standard, up to 16 megabytes of memory can be addressed for DMA. The EISA and Micro Channel Architecture standards allow access to the full range of memory addresses (assuming they're addressable with 32 bits). Peripheral Component Interconnect accomplishes DMA by using a bus master (with the microprocessor "delegating" I/O control to the PCI controller).

Edited by Chao (14/01/2002 21:07)

#56410 - 28/01/2002 14:52 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: drakino]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
OK, you gonna write up a quick howto for distributed.net? I'd love to have it running and i couldn't find anything in the FAQ.

Would it be doable on a consumer image?

#56411 - 29/01/2002 08:42 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: danthep]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The last notes I have about it applied more to the Mark 1. I might try to dig up my old scripts and put something togther for a Mark 2 player. The biggest problem was needing to write to the drive, I got around it by putting the buffers in a ramdisk, then copying them to the drives from time to time.

With hijack, I should be able to do this on a consumer image, and also have some indication on when it's writing to the drives if so desired. (Though my ultimate wish is to have the d.net cow icon flash in a corner similar to the hard drive icon. I'd need a configurable overlay to tap into, similar to Kit's old clock hack.) I'd like to put togther a small C program to manage everything and to tap into hijack for options, not sure how plausable that is with my skills though.

#56412 - 29/01/2002 09:42 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Hijack has a configurable overlayed graphics facility...

#56413 - 29/01/2002 18:04 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Selective overlay to be able to say "Box, 123,26 to 128,32" and display a graphic in it?

Last time I poked around at the hijack code was 80 or so versions ago, so I guess I should again.

#56414 - 29/01/2002 18:11 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah you can specify a rectangle.

#56415 - 30/01/2002 08:41 Re: Has Empeg CPU utilization increased in newer vers? [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

/me goes and pokes at the source for hijack for documentation on this.