Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#102690 - 02/07/2002 14:44 running 3rd party apps from music drive
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
i mentiioned this before in an emptriv thread, but then the thread died. hopefully, someone can get me some answers...

i recently wiped my hdd w/ diskbuilder and did everything from scratch. then i started installing the 3rd party apps. basically, i did the xml interface, preinit, telnetd, and emptriv. i put telnetd and emptriv on my music drive, and had preinit run them at startup.

what i found out was that i was not able to sync w/ emplode. it gives some error which i forget. anyways, as soon as i kill the processes that are running on the music drive, emplode syncs up again. this is illustrated even more when i moved telnetd to /sbin. emplode still didnt sync til i killed emptriv. when i finally disabled emptriv at preinit, everything worked.

now, the question is... is emplode trying to umount the music drive when doing a sync? cuz that would explain why processes cant be running. and if so, is there any way to edit the sync script (assuming a shell script is what is run) so it kills all processes thats being run from the music drive, and runs preinit again after its done?

i dont really want kill emptriv manually everytime i want to sync.. but thats what i'm going to have to do if i want to play it in the car. any help?

#102691 - 02/07/2002 14:47 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Correct, emplode has to unmount and remount the music partitions in order to do the sync.

#102692 - 02/07/2002 16:35 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
For this very reason, I've always recommended that people use the unused 32mb partition (/dev/hda2 if I remember correctly) for user apps such as my own emptriv. That's where I run it from, and I have no problems with syncs. Just gotta mkfs the drive and mount it somewhere convenient, I use it as my /usr partition.

#102693 - 02/07/2002 17:46 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
...which is part of the reason why I spent a ton of time getting 80% through an interface that allowed you to stop and start programs while the player is running (for example, in your car). Then I got this sweet programming job that pays (literally) what I made in a month's time two summers ago in a week's time, and now I just can't find the time to finish it. But I want to finish enough than I'll get around to it sometime.

(It's time I find a synonym for "time" )

John

#102694 - 04/07/2002 09:40 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
old hand

ok, i've been able to prepare hda2 and everything... but now, how do i mount it on startup? i'm thinking just adding it to my preinit, but i know there's a more proper way.

and also... whats the best way to rw and ro the partition. i'm not a linux junkine.. just know a little bit.

Edited by iMaGe (04/07/2002 09:44)

#102695 - 04/07/2002 13:26 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Stuff that is mentioned in /etc/fstab and not having the "noauto" option mentioned usually gets mounted at boot time by something running 'mount -a', but I'm not absolutely certain if that's the case on the empeg too.

The rw(m) and ro(m) programs are just shell scripts. You could modify either pair to include the new partition or create a third pair specially for the new partition.
The content of the existing ones should be a good start.

Oh, don't forget to incorporate, if you haven't already, the speedup fix mlord posted quite a while ago.

/Michael

#102696 - 05/07/2002 00:37 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: mtempsch]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Nobody does a 'mount -a' on the player -- the disks are initially mounted by our init, and then unmounted/mounted by the player directly. The rw and rwm scripts are for convenience -- nothing usually runs them. So:

You need to mount the disk explicitly (not with -a) in preinit (equiv of init), and modify the rw and rwm scripts for your convenience. The player should ignore your partition with this scheme -- which is what you want.

#102697 - 05/07/2002 11:16 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: Roger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Nobody does a 'mount -a' on the player -- the disks are initially mounted by our init

Duh! Yes of course...Now I also recall there being explicit mount commands in the replacement script init that originally (IIRC) came with the picker...

Guess this means I haven't played around in the empeg for quite a while :-(

/Michael

#102698 - 10/07/2002 18:45 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: Roger]
old hand

okay. i'm having a problem....
i'm getting this error when i'm untarring emptriv in /opt (hda2).

cp: cannot create regular file /opt/emptriv/questions/HFP.0003.dat': No space left on device

but afterwards, when i do a df /opt, i get this:
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
- 32207 10702 19842 35% /opt

i'm not sure whats happening... but i basically cant fit all of the questions.

#102699 - 20/07/2002 14:59 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: image]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
I'm getting the same error

#102700 - 21/07/2002 00:47 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: jheathco]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Bitt helped me out a bit. The problem is the number of inodes created by default when doing mke2fs.... I did mke2fs -N 500000 /dev/hda2 and that worked fine.

#102701 - 21/07/2002 19:45 Re: running 3rd party apps from music drive [Re: jheathco]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I've written a script that will do the legwork of preparing /dev/hda2 (and /dev/hdc2 if it exists) as a /programs0 (/programs1) mount. It formats the partitions with the -N 50000 parameter. It also adds /bin/rwp and /bin/rop to make them writeable/read-only and populates /etc/preinit.d with startup scripts for various apps, including one to mount the parition(s) read-only at boot. It's intelligent enough to skip parts that have already been completed...ie if your /dev/hda2 parition is already formatted, then it will not re-format it.

Look in the /programs and preinit - the easy way thread in programming for more details. Since this is still a work in progress (I'm adding preinit scripts as I find more apps), look for the latest attachment from me..