Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#149333 - 19/03/2003 14:08 Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help
BasmantarD
new poster

Loc: Florida, USofA
Ok I really hope that someone can help me with this, I was connecting my empeg to my computer, had the USB hooked up and and i had my empeg sitting on one of my spare windows box's which is about 2 ft in the air. i had the power adapter plugged into the back of the unit and i was stretching it to find the nearest outlet when i guess i tugged it too swiftly and it fell from the box and landed on my scanner, whenever it boots up i hear the disk turn near the Empeg splash logo but after that i get the error "Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support" is there any way to fix this? should i open the unit and check anything out? please help.

#149334 - 19/03/2003 14:11 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: BasmantarD]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Check and make sure the hard drive ribbon cable did not get unplugged from the Empeg mainboard. The jarring might have worked it loose. Make sure if it is, you don't plug it in off by one pin.

I'm sure Tony will be hitting you with the FAQ entry momentarily, which has other options to try if that's not the problem.

#149335 - 19/03/2003 14:19 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm sure Tony will be hitting you with the FAQ entry momentarily, which has other options to try if that's not the problem.
What, I have to do everything around here?

Here's the FAQ entry. Enjoy.

#149336 - 19/03/2003 14:56 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH

apparently. I was going to come back and do it if you didn't...but I'd hate to steal your thunder.

#149337 - 19/03/2003 15:01 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI

Well, if you want to keep that far and away lead on post count....

#149338 - 19/03/2003 15:12 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: JBjorgen]
BasmantarD
new poster

Well its people like you that keep this board alive, i mean if we got ridiculed everytime we had a problem or question then nobody would post and the community would be very asinine

#149339 - 19/03/2003 16:10 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: tfabris]
BasmantarD
new poster

ok this is weird, i took apart the empeg and pulled out the hard disk mount, its a 60GB (dual 30GB) empeg by the way, and i unplugged the cable from the mainboard, then plugged it back in, the cables both have hot glue attaching them to the drives so i dont think they came lose during the fall. well i put it back together and plugged it into the wall with my adaptor (i am testing this with a DC 12v 1a adaptor) it booted up fine, and i was excited, well i wanted to upload some tunes and the socket was too far away from my computer so i moved the adaptor and the unit closer to my computer and plugged in the USB cable and the unit booted to the spash screen and i can hear the disks turn, but after the spash screen i get the "Empeg screen of death" you know "Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support" any ideas??

#149340 - 19/03/2003 16:21 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: BasmantarD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

but after the spash screen i get the "Empeg screen of death" you know "Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support" any ideas??
Read through each and every one of the possible causes in that FAQ entry I linked. Any one of those could cause the error you're seeing, so check each one. The most common causes are: Bad cable or cold solder joints on the IDE header.

#149341 - 19/03/2003 16:24 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: tfabris]
BasmantarD
new poster

i think i did spot a cold solder joint on the IDE header, what do u suggest if i see that? and should i just buy a cable at the computer store to be safe?

#149342 - 19/03/2003 16:30 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: BasmantarD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

i think i did spot a cold solder joint on the IDE header, what do u suggest if i see that?
The suggestions for what to do in that situation are detailed in that FAQ entry. Please refer to it for instructions.

and should i just buy a cable at the computer store to be safe?
The cables are custom-made and can't be bought off-the-shelf. The best way to get replacements is what's suggested in that FAQ entry: ordering one from support. If you tried to buy parts off-the-shelf to replace it, you'd have to crimp your own connectors, therefore taking a risk that your replacement cable might be worse than the original one.

If there really is a visible problem with the IDE header, I wouldn't worry about the cable, it would be the IDE header almost certainly. Does it look exactly like that photo, where the end pins lift up from the pad when you wiggle the header?

#149343 - 25/03/2003 21:53 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: tfabris]
BasmantarD
new poster

The last pin doesnt seem to be completely covered by solder. i can see the bar, there is a little bit of solder connecting it to the board but not covering it like the others. but why would this stop it from detecting the hard disk now and why hasnt this been a problem earlier? and how should i get this fixed? send back to support?

#149344 - 25/03/2003 22:27 Re: Hard Disk Not Found, Contact Support!!!! Help [Re: BasmantarD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

i can see the bar, there is a little bit of solder connecting it to the board but not covering it like the others.
if there is any amount of solder connecting it to the board, and it doesn't come up when you wiggle it, then it's probably fine.

but why would this stop it from detecting the hard disk now and why hasnt this been a problem earlier?
Thermal cycling and age.

But from your description, it's probably not the case here. It's probably something else.

and how should i get this fixed? send back to support?
The FAQ entry says this repeatedly, if I recall correctly.