Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165169 - 11/06/2003 14:52 Problem with uploading a kernel
miko
new poster

Loc: Poland
Hello,
I have uploaded a hijacked kernel v270 some time ago, and it did work. Now when I try do upload a new kernel (I mean any kernel: hijacked v338, or Empeg's car-developer-v2.0beta13) it will not work. I had some problems with external power supply, so I am afraid it could destroy something. The player (MK2a) seems to work, except that left half of the VFD is dead (see another topic).
I am trying to upload from linux, using download.c, with serial cable. All I get is:

Turn on empeg unit now
found empeg unit: entering program mode
Couldn't find manufacturer ID!

Looking at download.c I can see the comment:
Look for '#' then 4 hex digits
I guess I don't get those digits. The output of my bootlog ends like this:
kftpd: listening on port 21
player.cpp : 385:empeg-car 2.00-beta11 2002/02/08.
Prolux 4 empeg car - 2.1434 Feb 7 2002
Vcb: 0x4086d000
! mp3_decoder.cpp : 1049:Failed to find valid sync after seeking to offset 3862714, error=0xc0044000

And there is no '#' followed by 4 hex digits.
Am I right that the log file is incomplete? What could be the cause? Could it be an error in the flash memory? I do not get a shell, the console just dies... Will I be able do force a new kernel upload?

#165170 - 11/06/2003 15:01 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do you have access to a Windows computer? Please try this on a Windows computer using the current version of my Logoedit program. See if that works.

#165171 - 11/06/2003 15:37 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: tfabris]
miko
new poster

> Do you have access to a Windows computer? Please try this on a Windows computer using the current version of my Logoedit program. See if that works.

Yes, I tried with logoedit1.7 - it looked like it worked (it "detected" manufacturer ID and product ID, and was showing "erasing" and "program" messages). But after I rebooted the player, I saw it still announces itself as a beta11, which is my previously uploaded kernel. So it did not work, and this is because I don't get a shell on the serial console - I guess.

BTW, how do you quote the sentence in this forum?

#165172 - 11/06/2003 15:44 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

But after I rebooted the player, I saw it still announces itself as a beta11
That's the PLAYER SOFTWARE talking.

The kernel is not the same as the player software. Please read this and this.

#165173 - 11/06/2003 15:46 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

BTW, how do you quote the sentence in this forum?
Explained here.

#165174 - 11/06/2003 18:05 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: tfabris]
miko
new poster

> That's the PLAYER SOFTWARE talking.

You are right, I have missed a line from the kernel. The kernel upgrade worked. So I upgraded the software also (with emplode) which also have worked. So it looks like everything is working - thanks! Now the only remaining problem is the display, but it is quite different story I will try to get display server to see the remaining half of the display

#165175 - 12/06/2003 03:49 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Getting the display replaced is not a difficult thing. Have you contacted support about it? I know that there are a number of extra display modules floating around right now, and I am sure Rob has a few. Replacing the glass module is something that can be done fairly easily.

#165176 - 12/06/2003 10:52 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So I upgraded the software also (with emplode) which also have worked.
Remember that the software upgrade overwrites the kernel with the factory kernel. So if you want the hijack kernel, you need to re-install it.

I will try to get display server to see the remaining half of the display
If you have the hijack kernel installed, just use CharcoalGray99's XML interface, or write your own routine to retrieve http://your.empeg.ip.address/proc/empeg_screen.png. Displayserver has kind of been replaced by that feature hijack.

#165177 - 12/06/2003 11:42 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: tfabris]
miko
new poster

Remember that the software upgrade overwrites the kernel with the factory kernel. So if you want the hijack kernel, you need to re-install it.

Of course I did reinstal hijack kernel after upgrade, sorry I didn't mention it.

If you have the hijack kernel installed, just use CharcoalGray99's XML interface, or write your own routine to retrieve http://your.empeg.ip.address/proc/empeg_screen.png. Displayserver has kind of been replaced by that feature hijack.

Actually I have installed CharcoalGray as well as empegVNC. I have read about displayserver about a year ago, and didn't check for new software for empeg - I found out about these new programs just yesterday. It is good to see that there is still new software developed for empeg!
BTW, all programs mentioned use ethernet connection. I wonder if there is similar USB-based solution?

#165178 - 12/06/2003 11:45 Re: Problem with uploading a kernel [Re: miko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I wonder if there is similar USB-based solution?
No, not at this time. However there has been some discussion about writing a driver shim to make the Mk1 empeg appear as if it were an external USB-to-ethernet converter dongle so that these programs could be run on a Mark 1 player. This project hasn't had any action recently, so I don't know if it's going to happen.