Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243974 - 14/12/2004 13:49 Power problem?
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I read the faq about the little battery icon, What I am having happen is ill be driving along and randomly id say 0-3 times in a 45min-1hour trip my empeg will shut off and come back on with the battery icon. I cant seem to duplicate it just does it randomly. Though I think i see it more when I am running my lights but not positive. But also at the same time my handle is still screwed up so I dont know if maybe its just not seating well in the sled. Do you guys have any ideas of what I can do to check whats wrong? Thanks!
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#243975 - 14/12/2004 13:58 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Time to get your alternator checked. Also check your wiring and make sure you don't have a dodgy connection.

#243976 - 14/12/2004 14:12 Re: Power problem? [Re: JBjorgen]
SonicSnoop
addict

It better not be my alternator I just had one die and this is a new one. its a 95amp alt in a 72 VW SB vert. This weekend Ill go over my sled harness connections and make sure they are all ok.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#243977 - 14/12/2004 16:27 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
It better not be my alternator I just had one die and this is a new one. its a 95amp alt in a 72 VW SB vert. This weekend Ill go over my sled harness connections and make sure they are all ok.

Dors the alternator have an internal voltage regulator or is it an external box (if so, was it checked/changed as well?)

If you have a volt meter (multimeter), check the voltage at the battery terminals at rest ( car has been off for a while, no nconsumers on;. voltage should be close to 12.6 V. With car rinning at somewhat aster than idle (say 2000rpm or so) you should see close to 14.4V shpuld definately be above 13.8 and below 14.7V Exact "ideal" voltage varies with battery temerature. colder -> higher voltage required to fully charge the battery. Shouldn't really dup very much as you turn on big consumer like headlights, rear defroster, fan,stereo , AC (if electricity driven and not direct belt drive)

You could attach the leads more permanently and run them inside, and glance at the meter as the empeg complains...

#243978 - 14/12/2004 23:00 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Ah ha! Check your battery as well, as dying alternators have been known to take batteries with them in a mutual suicide pact. Also check the sled leads and harness wiring for loose contacts.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#243979 - 15/12/2004 11:24 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
SonicSnoop
addict

yes the Alt has the voltage regulator internal. I do have a multimeter so I will give that a check tomorrow and see what I can find out. Its a 72 Super Beetle so I dont have a rear defroster, fan is belt driven on the back of the alt, AC is unfortunitly mother nature cant turn that off to save my self.. (no heat) Ill try attaching the multimeter and watch it and see what kind of fluctuations i get if any. Thanks for the ideas.

#243980 - 15/12/2004 11:25 Re: Power problem? [Re: schofiel]
SonicSnoop
addict

Is there a way I can test if it is good or not?
I was also considering going dual batteries. Anyone know how I could do that? My battery is under the back seat so I have the other side of the seat for the other one. its just a matter of finding what wiring I would need to set it up. Thank you for your help/ideas.

#243981 - 15/12/2004 15:15 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Its a 72 Super Beetle

Ah, why didn't you say so before? You simply need to pedal harder to generate enough power to run the empeg.

#243982 - 15/12/2004 15:37 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
Is there a way I can test if it is good or not?
I was also considering going dual batteries. Anyone know how I could do that? My battery is under the back seat so I have the other side of the seat for the other one. its just a matter of finding what wiring I would need to set it up. Thank you for your help/ideas.

Testing the battery?

With an acid densitometer(suction bulb with graded float), check the density of the acid in each cell. should all be within 0.02 g/cm3 of eachother. Do a couple of forceful suck/pumps in each cell and keep an eye on the color/clarity of the acid -should be clear.

Withh an artificial load (visit a good batter/car accessory shop,effectively an adjustable toaster running on 12V)you can pull a large current out of the battery (200-300A depending on capacity. Voltage shouldn't fall under ~9V. With a bad cell you'd see a sudden breakdown in voltage, and typically bubbling in the bad cell (protective goggles on!).

Adding a second battery

Do you want just larger capacity (effectively just a twice as large battery) or do you also want protection against running out of starter juice by extended music sessions with the car off?

First case: new cableshoe for the + terminal (must be capable of accepting 2 heavy guage wires, the existing+ a new one) of the existing battery and one for the new battery. a piece of heavy gauge (35-50 mm2 whaterver that is in AWG) wire between the +terminals. A gounding wire for the new battery and cable shoe for the - terminal.

For ttal security you would have a fuse (and associated holders) close to each attery on the new +wire (that wire will otherwise glow red hot and the isolation burn if either end of the wire shorts to ground - say the seat frame.) Depending on distances, wire routing, seat construction etc I personally might skip the fuses. But that really means playing the odds. I'd at least add some extra isolation. heat shrink tubing, rubber sheets/mats, plastic panels...I hope there's a fuse (might not look like one/be integrated in a cable shoe or wire as a "fusible link" near your existing battery. Ask your dealer/mechanic!)

second case: as above but you also need a high current relay (IIRC Stinger makes a 200A one, also gives you an idea of the fuse ratings required) ) + wiring (hin to control it so that it closes wiith engine on and opens with engine off) Your current hungry stereo gear should onnect to the battery "after" the relay, as seen from the alternator

#243983 - 15/12/2004 18:23 Re: Power problem? [Re: tfabris]
SonicSnoop
addict

Quote:
Quote:
Its a 72 Super Beetle

Ah, why didn't you say so before? You simply need to pedal harder to generate enough power to run the empeg.

Hey! Ive already upgraded from the squirell to a rabbit, theres no more room in the wheel for a bigger creature!

#243984 - 15/12/2004 18:26 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
SonicSnoop
addict

Id like to have it setup so all my stock car stuff runs off the main battery and have the second for my empeg and amp but have it so they both can be charged the same time. Do you know of some simple diagrams on the web somewhere that shows me how to hook this up? Im more of a visual person. manged to rewire my entire car with just a print out of it. though im lost just reading about it

#243985 - 15/12/2004 18:46 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Utterly crappy paint drawing (no mouse, only touchpad available is the only defense I can
raise....
empeg takes power from +terminal of right battery. left battery is original.

I'm not sure what to tap for into for the control of the relay - possibly one of the terminals on the alternator. The relay should come with instructions... As the alternator spins up as the car starts, a voltage shows up on the terminal which causes th relay to close and both batteries can be charged. As the engine sops, the alternator stops, voltage disappears from termonal nd relay opens. 2nd battery now only powers empeg or other stuff you rewire to it istead of how it's wired now

Attachments
243463-2batterieswiring.GIF (92 downloads)

#243986 - 15/12/2004 19:32 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
SonicSnoop
addict

Thank you VERY much, That helps me out alot. Is there a specific relay I need to get? It that these battery Isolators ive heard people mention? or battery selinoid or something.

#243987 - 16/12/2004 06:04 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Not per se, but it needs to operate on 12V or whatever that post on the alternator gives, and be able to handle lots of current.

Exactly HOW much it needs to be able to handle depends on what you hookup and how.
The minimum would be the charging current of the alternator.but even higher current can flow if the charge difference between the batteries is large (ie full vs empty) so I'd say 200A is a good target. Nprmal relay (Bosch relays. like used if you have lots of items to turn on with the radios remote output) typically handles 20-30A

"Battery isolators are relays made with this task in mind, so they're high current and have sturdy connecting posts for the heavy wires used.

Edited by mtempsch (16/12/2004 06:05)

#243988 - 16/12/2004 08:49 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Depending on distances, wire routing, seat construction etc I personally might skip the fuses. But that really means playing the odds. I'd at least add some extra isolation. heat shrink tubing, rubber sheets/mats, plastic panels...

Heh, a friend of mine skipped isolation. Then a very, errr, well-fed friend sat in the back. The seat sagged, a steel spring shorted the battery, seat filling (looked like some kind of impregnated staw) cought fire. Splendid time was had by all. Luckily, nobody got injured, except the beatle. (Incidentally, in the same family - they like strange cars - an incident of an incinerated NSU Prinz happened; this time it was fuel spilling from the carburetor...)

Take care!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#243989 - 16/12/2004 09:18 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
SonicSnoop
addict

]My Alt has 3 connections, one that goes to the battery, one that goes to my dash gen light, and a ground. supposidly the gen light plays a huge role in my charging system if its not hooked up it wont charge. im not too sure what kind of power that gen light line has. if all else fails could I just wire a manual toggle switch with a hot acc wire from my fuse block and when my car is on turn the switch on to turn the second batt n to charge?

#243990 - 16/12/2004 16:37 Re: Power problem? [Re: bonzi]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
Depending on distances, wire routing, seat construction etc I personally might skip the fuses. But that really means playing the odds. I'd at least add some extra isolation. heat shrink tubing, rubber sheets/mats, plastic panels...

Heh, a friend of mine skipped isolation. Then a very, errr, well-fed friend sat in the back. The seat sagged, a steel spring shorted the battery, seat filling (looked like some kind of impregnated staw) cought fire. Splendid time was had by all. Luckily, nobody got injured, except the beatle. (Incidentally, in the same family - they like strange cars - an incident of an incinerated NSU Prinz happened; this time it was fuel spilling from the carburetor...)

Take care!

oops...
Definately!
As I said. depending on construction etc... and additional isolation... Your car - your judgement. Poor judgement may have detrimental effects...

#243991 - 16/12/2004 16:46 Re: Power problem? [Re: SonicSnoop]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
My Alt has 3 connections, one that goes to the battery, one that goes to my dash gen light, and a ground. supposidly the gen light plays a huge role in my charging system if its not hooked up it wont charge.

Ah yes, with integrated regulators, the availability of the field etc terminals might not be...
Quote:
im not too sure what kind of power that gen light line has. if all else fails could I just wire a manual toggle switch with a hot acc wire from my fuse block and when my car is on turn the switch on to turn the second batt n to charge?

Noproblem at all. Except it not being automatic

lLook into the instructions for a battery isolator?

#243992 - 16/12/2004 18:43 Re: Power problem? [Re: mtempsch]
SonicSnoop
addict

Thank you VERY much I think I got it down now, just need to find the parts now