Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#257451 - 01/06/2005 02:21 Dropped my player, now the hard drive is not found
BryceG
new poster

I have an MK2 that I accidentally dropped from about 4 feet up onto a hardwood floor, and it landed on the rear corner of the unit. Now when I power on the player, I get a "No hard drive found contact support" error.
The obvious problem seems to be that the hard drive was damaged during the fall, but I wanted to check here for any other suggestions before I go ordering a new drive.

Thanks.

#257452 - 01/06/2005 03:14 Re: Dropped my player, now the hard drive is not found [Re: BryceG]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Not neccessarily - could be the IDE cable/contact pulled apart (see pics of bad crimp), simply pulled off at either the drive (relatively unlike due to glue, unless it's been changed and not glued on the replacement) or the motherboard end, or the IDE headers soldering on the motherboard... The FAQ (link on top of the page) has extensive instructions on what/how to check on that error mesage.

#257453 - 01/06/2005 07:03 Re: Dropped my player, now the hard drive is not found [Re: mtempsch]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
simply pulled off at either the drive (relatively unlike due to glue, unless it's been changed and not glued on the replacement) or the motherboard end

Yeah, what he said: I dropped my empeg at the weekend (down a flight of stairs, no less), and the hard disk cable came off the motherboard connector. Check the FAQ for details of how to diagnose this problem.