Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#258302 - 15/06/2005 22:24 Display dimmer (not the normal problems)
CMU
new poster

Sometimes my Empeg's display goes dim shortly after powering it up in the car. Still readable in low light, but not in sunlight etc. From the FAQ I tried:

- Settings for headlights on/off: Both set to 100% bright
- Motherboard fuses: Continuity fine on the two mentioned in the FAQ
- Display cable: Not frayed
- Power capacitor on display board: Healthy 62V

The strange bit: If I change the state of my headlights, the display usually sorts itself out and reverts to full brightness, or at least as close as to not make any difference. Doesn't matter if my lights were on and I turned them off, or if they were off and I turned them on, the display fixes itself.

So I have a workaround, but it involves flashing my headlights in traffic - not ideal. So, anything else I can check/look at for a fix?

#258303 - 16/06/2005 00:52 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: CMU]
tman
carpal tunnel

You need the SMD capacitor added to the display board. There is a problem in the dimmer where it sometimes doesn't get set properly and the addition of the SMD cap fixes it. FAQ entry. It's not hard to do if you're comfortable with SMD components. Otherwise, you'll have to get somebody else to do it.

#258304 - 16/06/2005 03:50 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: tman]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Otherwise, you'll have to get somebody else to do it.

I just want to reminisce about fedex picking mine up, delivering it to Cambridge the next morning and having it quickly fixed and sent back with a fixed capacitor a new remote and a new sled. Empeg support is still the best support I've ever dealt with.

Matthew

#258305 - 16/06/2005 15:38 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: tman]
CMU
new poster

Ah, so maybe it is the normal problems. I'd read that FAQ entry, but not the lengthy thread linked from it. There are others in there with similar symptons - ie, it fixing itself on toggling the lights.

I'll give the cap a shot. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction

#258306 - 16/06/2005 15:48 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: CMU]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There are others in there with similar symptons - ie, it fixing itself on toggling the lights.

You can see it really clearly if you use the dimmer when in the car. It's really erratic and will jump up and down in brightness if you don't have the cap added.

Quote:
I'll give the cap a shot. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction

If you're reasonably good at soldering then it's no problem to do. The major worry is damaging the VFD or the fill nipple on the side. Make sure you don't damage that and it's a breeze.

#258307 - 22/06/2005 12:15 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: tman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Not wholly sure you are right about this - I have the exact same problem on my Mk2 - is this one a Mk2? It wasn't stated - and I have got a 2A display board with the dimmer fix.

If you have a 2 display, then you can't actually fit the SMD cap as the dimmer controller chip is not on the back of the board.

I haven't got a solution to this: mine comes up with the display dim one time in about 20 starts in the car, and it either goes to full intensity at the end of boot (player startup) or when I press the down button to go to visuals.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#258308 - 22/06/2005 12:24 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: schofiel]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Not wholly sure you are right about this - I have the exact same problem on my Mk2 - is this one a Mk2? It wasn't stated - and I have got a 2A display board with the dimmer fix.

Ah. Didn't know there was a difference on the Mk2 and Mk2a display boards. I had the same symptoms on my Mk2a which went away when I did the dimmer fix. Time for somebody to update the FAQ? Tony?

#258309 - 04/07/2005 21:41 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: schofiel]
CMU
new poster

Well, I've just finished the capacitor fix and all seems well. I can adjust the brightness up and down smoothly on AC power forced into DC mode, though the full test will be in the car over the next couple of weeks.

Hardest part of this fix was sourcing the cap. I don't have a nice stock of such things lying around, and I felt fairly silly wandering into Maplins and asking for a single 7p component

Still, if it's fixed now, I'm happy. Perhaps it was the normal problems for me then! More FAQ readage before asking next time! Thanks as always for all the help/advice from one of the best enthusiast communities ever.

#258310 - 07/07/2005 12:58 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: CMU]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
So what did you do to fix this? Which cap did you replace?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#258311 - 08/07/2005 04:57 Re: Display dimmer (not the normal problems) [Re: schofiel]
CMU
new poster

Basically, I soldered a 10nF capacitor onto the display board as shown in the video in this FAQ entry.

It's a few days on now, and so far so good for the fix.