Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262653 - 13/08/2005 15:58 PCATS FM Signal quality
AtomicOne
new poster

Some weeks ago i recieved my PCATS Tuner and build it.
And it works.
But the signal quality is poor althogh on empeg-display the field is always max.
And AF switches from good to worse frequencies or to a completely other station.
I have checked the soldering and the coax-cable.
All seems to be fine.

I think i have read something about a software bug according to the field-display or something but i can't find the thread.

Any hints ?
RioCar #040103463 , 30Gb

#262654 - 14/08/2005 03:06 Re: PCATS FM Signal quality [Re: AtomicOne]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
signal quality is poor althogh on empeg-display the field is always max
(...)
checked the soldering and the coax-cable

You didn't say you checked the pinouts on the connector cable.

Also look here, and here. And especially the sticky right at the top of the very thread you just posted to, here.

#262655 - 14/08/2005 04:20 Re: PCATS FM Signal quality [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Heh...I was gonna look all that crap up, but I figured you'd get to it sooner or later.

#262656 - 14/08/2005 18:08 Re: PCATS FM Signal quality [Re: AtomicOne]
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
In Antwort auf:
Some weeks ago i recieved my PCATS Tuner and build it.
And it works.
But the signal quality is poor althogh on empeg-display the field is always max.
And AF switches from good to worse frequencies or to a completely other station.
I have checked the soldering and the coax-cable.
All seems to be fine.

I think i have read something about a software bug according to the field-display or something but i can't find the thread.

Any hints ?

This has been discussed before here. I have the same problem but did not found a solution until yet.

#262657 - 15/08/2005 01:16 Re: PCATS FM Signal quality [Re: AtomicOne]
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
I skimmed through all the links and did not see this suggestion. Someone once said that they had to resort to a FM signal booster for the tuner to work as well as he thought it should.
I will also confirm that I’ve tried all the other suggestions and I only noticed a slight change. Things like going under overpasses and between large buildings still make the signal fade out on me. I’d have to say that my current factory radio still sounds better than the tuner for my Empeg.

On the other hand I’d have to say that my “ear” for sound quality has changed since getting my Empeg and FM just doesn’t have that digital quality that I’m used to.

I have not tried the FM booster myself, but I most likely will once I get around to installing my Empeg into my new car. I'll have to see how well the antenna is.