Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267842 - 23/10/2005 22:18 New empeg owner with questions
HATE
new poster

At long last bought a empeg and had to replace the hard drive the first day I owned it. I can install 2.0 onto the drive but when I go to run emplode it gets to rebuilding database and shuts down. Is ythis in the software or in the ahrdware and how do I fix it? Thanks.

#267843 - 24/10/2005 08:41 Re: New empeg owner with questions [Re: HATE]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Okay. If you replaced the drive, I am assuming that you built the brand new drive using the build instructions in the FAQ.

When you mean "shuts down", do you mean that you power up the player, it shows the boot screens, including a building database line (normal for a blank drive that has not been synced before) and then "shuts down" by going into standby mode (blank screen with standby LED pulsing in the display's upper right corner), this is totally normal. The player is on and ready for you to load music to.

If you mean that it locks up or completely powers down, that is abnormal. Try to get a console session up and post what you see. Thanks.

#267844 - 24/10/2005 23:12 Re: New empeg owner with questions [Re: pgrzelak]
HATE
new poster

I got it up and running thanks. It seemed to not like the new harddrive. I tried another one and it worked great. I am now looking (I know there is another post about this) to control XM Commander from my Empeg. I have a cable pin out from the controller to a rs 232 connection but need to figure how to install software on empeg. Any luck with this or is it a lost cause?

#267845 - 25/10/2005 13:40 Re: New empeg owner with questions [Re: HATE]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
It is certainly not a lost cause if you are a reasonably competent developer that's familiar with linux. There's definitely a learning curve though. I haven't gotten into it myself, although I've been meaning to for a while.

You'll need the proper environment to compile binaries that will run on this particular ARM platform. The info can be found around here somewhere by searching. From there, it's a matter of porting one of the available programs and working out how to accept input and display info on the screen.