Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269463 - 13/11/2005 23:29 Behavior of button lights with and without headlights
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Are the button lights on the Empeg supposed to shut themselves off when the headlights are off and turn themselves on when the headlights are on? My unit has always stayed on regardless of headlight status. If the light kit is set at level four with the headlights on, this is how it remains when the headlights are off. Although it dims with the level of the display. Is this how they are supposed to work?

Thanks,
Stu

#269464 - 14/11/2005 00:06 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
On mine, the buttons go dim when I turn on the headlights or when the player is in sleep mode. Two different levels of dim if I recall correctly.

I think the amount of dim is controllable by a config.ini option for hijack. Don't remember the syntax.

Your dimmer wire works correctly I take it?

#269465 - 14/11/2005 00:24 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks Tony. Yes it does. The buttons dim when the display dims, but they are never completely off when the headlights are off. I never really gave this much thought until someone was complaining that their button lights "work in reverse", ie. headlights on= button lights off, headlights off= button lights on. I was not aware that the button lights ever turned on and off in response to the headlight status.

So is it possible to get the button lights to turn off completely with the headlights off and on when the headlights are on, if the right config.ini syntax is used?

Thanks,
Stu

#269466 - 14/11/2005 01:11 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think so, yeah. You can make 'em do whatever you want. Sorry I don't have the syntax handy.

Just keep in mind that the guy who said it was backwards was, in fact, backwards himself. The point was that the buttons are supposed to match what the empeg display dimmer is doing. i.e., headlights on means it's night time, so the display should be dimmer so as not to be blinding in the car cabin. During the daylight you want the stuff brighter.

But they aren't supposed to turn off completely when you turn on the headlight. Just go to about half brightness. If they turn off completely there might be something funky with the circuit. Try setting their brightness level in hijack and see if you get the full range of brightness.

#269467 - 14/11/2005 02:41 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Mine works as you describe. I don't have access to the unit this guy was describing, but it probably has something to do with the config.ini file.

If anyone knows the pertinent sytax for turning off the button lights when the headlights go out, please post it.

Thanks,
Stu

#269468 - 14/11/2005 05:18 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: maczrool]
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
There's a setting to turn leds to a particular level when headlights are On:

So with v432, one can now specify the exact brightness level to be used whenever headlight sense is active (lights on):
[hijack] buttonled_dim=7

(full M Lord post explaining)

value must be from 1 to 7

Then, in hijack menu, you set the value when headlights are on to 0. Whenever they are on, leds will come at the level specified by the config.ini setting.

I'm doing this by memory, but I guess it is ok.

#269469 - 14/11/2005 12:27 Re: Behavior of button lights with and without headlights [Re: elperepat]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks Patrick! I'll give that a try.

Stu